Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RCA ANT751 small YAGI style antenna and noticed there is some flexibility in how I install it. Usually these antennas are installed on a mast and are almost perfectlly parallel with the ground.

Somewhere in my travels over various antenna websites over the years I thought I saw where if you slightly elevate the tip of the antenna so it was not parallel but point up in the sky a bit reception would benefit.

Is this true or did I have false memory?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Somewhere in my travels over various antenna websites over the years I thought I saw where if you slightly elevate the tip of the antenna so it was not parallel but point up in the sky a bit reception would benefit.

Is this true or did I have false memory?
It's a complicated subject, but depending on the height of the antenna above ground, and the conductivity of the ground, I would go out on a limb and say you would actually give up a little "ground gain" if you tilt a yagi...

EA6VQ - Polarization of signals and ground gain (dxmaps.com)

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
It mainly depends on how high the receiving station is relative to the overall surrounding terrain, how far away the desired transmitter is as well as it's height above the surrounding terrain.
for example if the desired station is well beyond the radio horizon, and your location is relatively low, you MIGHT see some benefit uptilting the antenna slightly, ensuring the antenna's vertical beam is aimed at the horizon, and not significantly undershooting the horizon.

On the flip side, if your desired station is local, and you aimed for the horizon, you might overshoot the local station,
which generally isn't gonna be as noticable because if the station is local, you should be having more headroom to play with.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm sure a bigger antenna, more elevation and/or preamp would do much more than raising the tip 5 degrees. That's my .02.

But hey, try it as you can always put it back if it doesn't work. Lots of trial and error in OTA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts