Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten weaker signals in Toronto recently. I have my antenna placed on the front corner of my hood, under a 5 mm plexiglass bug shield (its not encased in the shield, only resting under it). I get a poor signal in specific pockets these days, up Yonge St, past York Mills and north of there. I also got a dead spot downtown, I drove up and down the street several times and I was able to recreate the problem in the same spot. I moved the antenna to a more open space on the hood, but I park outside so this is not really an option for me to have consistently, else I be more likely to suffer from vandalism.

Everything was fine where the antenna was in the past few months, but it seems recently, there are a lot of dead spots. Has anyone else noticed this problem as of late?

It does not seem to matter whether I am moving or stationary, either. The antenna is connected to the recent Terk internal XM headunit which is interfaced with my aftermarket Sony radio. I am thinking of checking for a firmware update to see if this would fix the problem, but my sense is that, a) there probably isn't one, and b) it wouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've been noticing a lot more dropouts lately, as well. Driving through some areas where I never had problems before no result in "check antenna" messages on my ExpressRC. Very frustrating, especially since I just recently started a new job and now have to drive as opposed to walk.

·
Registered
933 Posts
There might be something happening. Being a Dual subscriber I have started using my Sirius Canada subscription more in the car lately due to what seemed like more dropouts on XM (although not an overly bad situation). However at home XM Signal is still perfect and Sirius signal sucks. I live in North west Mississauga and work north east Mississauga.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
More dropouts usually means a terrestrial repeater is down. You could try calling XM Canada alerting them to the problem but I'm quite certain the csr you get will have no clue what you're talking about.

·
Registered
933 Posts
To be honest I don't think XM signal dropout is more than usual. Seems dependable to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts