Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Windsor,Ontario. Since they changed the lineup on May 5, the terrestrial repeater is down. Does anyone know why? Is it because of the pending merger and the fact Sirius never put a repeater in Windsor now Xm turned theirs off? Or is it just down temporarily. Anybody heard anything or are repeaters down in other areas?
I listen to mine at work and need the repeater!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I could simply be a coincidence.

The best thing to do is call them and let them know a previously-working terrestrial repeater is now off-line. Of course 9 times out of 10 the CSR won't have a clue what you're talking about but at least you can get them to file a note of some kind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reception in Montreal has been awful for the past few weeks and I assumed that the Montreal repeaters were offline for some reason.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
XM always had more repeaters than Sirius. The Sirius repeaters were always limited to large cities while XM had them in medium sized cities as well. I wonder if the merged company in shutting down the XM repeaters in smaller cities.

My original satellite radio subscription was originally for XM, in part due to the strength of the local transmitter. Unlike Sirius, it was receivable just about anywhere an FM signal would be. Without the repeater, Sirius is a better choice because XM relies on high orbit satellites and Sirius has low orbit satellites that provide a stronger signal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm using a Xm xm2go unit and up till 2 weeks ago my signal was fine. I live in the Hamilton area and I could walk around fine. Now the radio drops signal like crazy.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sirius XM Canada is a company looking to raise revenue and cut costs. Draw your own conclusions. I would be complaining to Sirius XM and threatening to cancel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
XM repeater in St. John's -- down?

For several days I've been unable to get a signal at all -- even the Preview channel -- on my home XM radio. I have another receiver that is unregistered but which always used to receive the Preview channel and it can no longer do so.

My XM reception has been always (for three years or so) from the local repeater. Does anyone know if it is down?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It looks like the merged Sirius/XM is shutting down repaeters. XM repeaters down ??!?? Why?

In the US, Sirius XM was required to maintain all transmission infrastructure to service all existing customers for a period of several years. Did the CRTC drop the ball when they allowed the Canadian merger? It certainly looks like it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I called their 800 number today to complain and was told, in corporate newspeak, "We have no record of issues with our service there."

. . . And then, just as mysteriously, it appears: the repeater is working this evening.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Canterbury Tail was correct.

Sometimes we take stuff for granted but maybe they just didn't know till you called.

Having said that, maybe XM is scrimping on infrastructure and so the mechanisms in place to detect problems isn't being properly monitored?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Maybe XM is shutting them down to see who notices. If there are no complaints then the repeater stays off permanently. If there are complaints then it gets turned back on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As of two does ago my signal was back to normal as well

·
Registered
102 Posts
Today, July 1st, the repeater in St. John's has been down most of the morning, with my radio just repeating "Loading" and "No Signal" for three hours. Very briefly, it came on a few minutes ago (just before 11 am local time), but was very choppy and disappeared again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And two days later again, it seems okay.

Sigh. There really is a lot of up and down in the service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts