Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've listened to the basic XMRO service pretty much every day since I opened my account 2.5 years ago. I tried the higher quality XM online+ service back in June, but was quite happy not paying an additional $2.99/month, so I declined to continue with the subscription and continued to enjoy the lower quality basic XMRO service.

Today, when I tried logging in, I was redirected to a different page informing me that they had discontinued the basic XMRO service and that I had been given free access to the higher quality XM online+ service until January 15. This surprised me as I hadn't received any emails or notifications that they would be discontinuing the service. The page also contains a line that reads "We apologize if we have missed communicating this information to you prior to now", which leads me to believe that they never did send any email to subscribers to notify us of the service discontinuation. I checked my email going back 6-8 months, but couldn't find any notification from XM Radio Canada about this.

Link: http://www.xmradio.ca/emails/xmonline/xmro_migration/xmro.cfm

Did anyone get an email about this? I did call listener care this morning and the lady that I spoke to was under the assumption that the service had been discontinued months ago and was surprised when I told her that I had listened to it up to and including yesterday.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my XM subscription, but this totally took me off guard... a little notice would have been nice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yup, I am getting the same message. Now that really sucks doesn't it. I love the part where they gave us advance notice.....oh, wait.....

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
XM basically did the same thing to me a couple of years ago. At that time the high quality stream was free. They cut it off with no notice at all, just leaving the low quality service. That soon led to a cancellation. Next time I subbed, it was with Sirius.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Same here. Completely distraught. Listened to this every day on my iPhone via Musicdock. My renewal is coming up in February, I'm going to see if I can renegotiate free online with the renewal at the same price.

I won't get the renewal without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XMonline+ canada

I've been an xm canada listener for over a year now, I also subscribe to xm online+. Last week I decided to sign up for a year to get xm online+ for free. After signing up they said my password to xmonline would be reset. So i went and changed it to a password of my liking (meanwhile I've kept the same username/email) and this is where my problem starts. I used to be able to listen to the online feature through my Windows xm gadget, which i can no longer login to. Also I just started using a program called SiriusXmstreamer so i can stream xm to my ps3, which i also can no longer login to. I can still log into the iphone app and web player thats on xm canada's web site. Does anyone else with an xmonline cananda's subscription use the windows gadget or siriusxmstreamer with similar problems the past few days? Was the xm online feed a shared feed for us/canada and now is not?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
This sucks.

Just discovered that my access to XMRO doesn't even work anymore.

Must've been lost when I did a radio swap in the summer when we got a new car.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Hotrod, free service is no longer available.

FYI, Sirius still offers its online service at no additional charge.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This really sucks. When I'm up for renewal in a couple of months I'll be cancelling unless they throw in the online+ subscription for free. I don't need the higher quality streams and was quite happy with the "free" XMRO included in my paid subscription.

Satellite radio is already too expensive IMHO, and another $3/month just for the ability to listen online makes it *way* more than I can justify for the amount that I use the service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Indeed this really sucks. I did not get any advance notice either. I've been an XM customer for almost 4 years running. I've enjoyed the online service almost every day at work since then. Even found a Win7 desktop gadget that would connect to the channels, without going through their web player.:)

Now that all this is gone, what's even more frustrating to me is that when I renewed 1.5 years ago I was offered a "Lifetime subscription" and opted in. I wonder now how they can possibly remove services they have offered me through a lifetime subscription and not offer any kind of compensation about it... I'm going to ask that question to their listener care folks and see what they have to answer. I'll post back anything of interest.

Meanwhile I'm still enjoying it with their "bridge" online+ account that they have set up for free until January...
BTW it seems when my account was 'ported' my password got to become all caps... If that can help anyone having issues logging in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent an email to Listener Care last Friday, laying out my concerns and requesting that they extend my "free" XM online+ subscription until at least June 2011, which is when my account is up for renewal.

I just received a response and they state that they "can't" extend the subscription past January 15, however if I sign up for a 2 year contract, they'll be happy to include it for free for the full 2 years.

Obviously, it's just another hook to keep me around for 2 years, but I'm not even sure that I want to renew or not at this point. It's been mentioned that satellite radio is already too expensive, which I completely agree with.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I sent a nastygram too. I'm a day-one subscriber and they also just auto-renewed me on my CC for 3 years. After about 4 days the response to the email was basically 'sucks to be you.' And yes, they had translated my XMRO password to caps when they set up the + account... couldn't even get that right.

P.S. no notification here either, unless it was in one of those 'What's On' spams which I just delete.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am still in shock...

I am up for renewal in February... I also will not be renewing if they do not renew me at the same rate with online included. I always have my iPhone on me, and I have a Bluetooth connection to my radio in the car, why would I want to pay more when I could be choosing from hundreds of other internet streams free already? Granted, XM Online+ is a neat and tidy little app, but it's not worth paying more for, IMO.

Sadly, there were so few who probably still used XMRO, I don't think it will make any difference to the company if those who used it threaten not to renew.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If I remember correctly, last time they did this people complained so much that they brought the free service back. Until now!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I sent a nastygram too. I'm a day-one subscriber and they also just auto-renewed me on my CC for 3 years. After about 4 days the response to the email was basically 'sucks to be you.' And yes, they had translated my XMRO password to caps when they set up the + account... couldn't even get that right.

P.S. no notification here either, unless it was in one of those 'What's On' spams which I just delete.
Thanks, I couldnt figure out why my pswd was suddenly invalid. Works now thanks to your post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Count me in as dissapointed too.

I had cancelled my account and then reactivated when they offered me $4.99/month only to have XMRO stop a few days later. My squeezebox application and desktop widget no longer work. Squeezebox is where I listen to XM the most and I will definately be cancelling my account once my 6 months is up if nothing changes.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I had cancelled my account and then reactivated when they offered me $4.99/month
Wow, XM Canada must really be struggling. My guess is they can't sell Satellite radio subscriptions (except for at $5 a month) so they magically think they can make it up on Internet Radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah not too happy about this too. I did not get any email notifications of the cancellation. Yes password was reset to all caps. I can't remember what I negotiated for my rate (I think I've negotiated 3 times now over the last couple of years) and can't find it in my "account management". For those of you who mention $5/month - that sounds pretty good. I'm guessing XM is struggling and won't be around very long unfortunately, but that doesn't motivate me to pay more and would make me nervous about a lifetime subscription. I agree, there is only so much money this service is worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cant even listen to any stations. Doing the free trial now. I tried every channel and get no sound. I get sound with with other things on my computer. I wont pay for this crap!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lifetime sub honoured with online+ service

I posted here last month about the basic online service being discontinued and was wondering how it would affect my lifetime subscription that I had taken almost 2 years back, at which time online service was part of the deal (included for free with radio sub).

Well, I just called in today to ask them the question, they did put me on hold for a few minutes, when they got back they offered 3 years online+ sub for free. When asked "why 3 years", they answered that's the longest sub they can enter in my account, but that I would simply have to call them back in 3 years and they would renew for another 3 years for free, and so on.

Didn't have to argue much to get it. Glad they understand the situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

I just wanna add my personal experience. I've bought lifetime when it was available and had acces to XMRO basic up until november. I call XM to have acces to Xm Online+ but the first guy I talked to didn't want to do it. He was asking me to fax him my customer agreement back when I subscribed first to show that I had access to the online part.

I had to call again another rep and argue to get it. At first, she said 5 years but then she told me she couldn't put in the system more than 3 years.

All was fine but the next day, it still didn't work. I called again and another rep told me that my inscription was cancelled. This one too didn't want to add it free until I made him speak with a supervisor.

Finally, after a lot of efforts and some arguing, I've got my acces to Xm Online+ free for at least 3 years.

What a nice way to treat the few lifetime customers that paid a lot of money and made a leap of faith during a hard economic time for this company when the future was uncertain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts