1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe if they wouldn't charge so friggin much, and give us what we want to listen to, they wouldn't be losing so much....and maybe also people wouldn't get US subscriptions

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As noted in the article, operationally, the losses were pared quite a bit in the quarter vs the same quarter last year.

To me the really bad news was not the losses but the weak subscriber growth. 17,000 in three months leading up to Christmas is really bad.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'd say that's pretty darn good to get that many new subscribers considering the current economic malestrom started round about the start of the fourth quarter.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If they campaigned to get the US subscribers back to Canada, they might gain a significant number more subscribers.

Even with the exchange rate, it's more economical to subscribe via the U.S. - XM Canada wants $10/month for a second receiver? Ridiculous.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even with the exchange rate, it's more economical to subscribe via the U.S. - XM Canada wants $10/month for a second receiver? Ridiculous.
Not sure what XM U.S. charges for a second receiver but I don't understand your comment.

XM U.S. is $12.99 per month vs. $14.99 in Canada. After conversion, I get the U.S. package as coming in slightly higher. I guess if you include taxes, U.S. might be cheaper but you can't blame XM Canada for that.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm talking about 2+ radios. XM U.S. charges $6.99/month while Canada charges $9.99. Using current exchange rates, the Canadian price still comes in at $1 higher without even factoring the savings from not having to pay GST. Any more of a favourable exchange only means higher savings.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I took a look at the Q1 financial statements, and most of the loss if from non-cash items. That includes a non-cash expense for unrealized foreign currency losses. The Statement of Cashflows indicates XM actually generated +$400k in cash from operations, and increased its short term investments by about that much. Net cash increased by $60k after all activity was accounted for.

As dramatic as the $31 million income statement loss is, they aren't about to close up shop.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm talking about 2+ radios. XM U.S. charges $6.99/month while Canada charges $9.99. Using current exchange rates, the Canadian price still comes in at $1 higher without even factoring the savings from not having to pay GST.
I honestly can't believe that if XM started charging a $1 or $2 less a month for a second radio that it would make a hill of beans difference on overall sub numbers. I was really commenting on you saying that XM canada's pricing was "ridiculous". Slightly more if you have two radios - yes, ridiculous - I don't believe that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Interesting that they seem to be converting more to paying customers, however those customers are paying less. Maybe they're making their retention offers too good, and word has gotten out to everyone.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think very soon they are going to try make a big effort to try stop Canadian customers from getting US subs, even if it takes a little forcing unfortunatly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love XM so hopefully they can be successful...hopefully they can buy Sirius Canada.

·
Registered
608 Posts
XM Canada broadcasts no intentions on merger

No solid signs of XM and Sirius Canada merging yet. Canadians will probably have no chance of a 'Best Of" package until they do.

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/571908

XM Canada broadcasts no intentions on merger

The parent company of XM Satellite Radio Canada is giving no clear signal on its future, five months after XM Radio in the United States merged with rival Sirius Satellite Radio.

"There could be something that brews with Sirius," John Bitove, chair of Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., told the annual meeting yesterday.

"It'll be an interesting year what unfolds on that front, but what's important for us is that it's business as usual."

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The title for the Star article is absolutely incorrect.

XM president and Bitove both said merger was quite possible in the financial meeting. They both indicated that merger discussions were possible so to say they have "no intentions" is not accurate.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Both are excellent services, I have 3 subscriptions with both. But really all I need from Sirius is the two howard channels, Playboy and a few of the Canadian channels. Everything else I can get on XM. XM has better signal coverage indoors, better portables and i think better sound.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't think an OFFICIAL Canadian merger is on...
  • They'd have to get competition board approval.
  • The CRTC has a policy of applying a 10% "transfer tax" to transfers of ownership of licences
  • The 10% will be the least of their worries with the CRTC. The whole licencing structure for SiriusXM will be opened up for review, just as if they were applying for it the first time. It was a pain last time, and they don't want to go through it again.
What I see instead as a viable scenario is the following...
  • SiriusXM in the US files Chapter 11
  • Under Chapter 11, they are allowed to unilaterally revoke contracts. So they revoke their contract with XM-Canada
  • XM-Canada surrenders its licence to the CRTC.
  • AFTER SURRENDURING ITS LICENCE, XM-Canada sells off its assets to Sirius-Canada, distributes the proceeds to shareholders and winds up its business. Because it's no longer a licence-holder, this is not treated as purchase of a licence-holder, which by-passes any need for CRTC hearings.
Getting rid of one of its Canadian licencees means that SiriusXM frees up approximately a dozen Can-Con channels which currently have a small listenership. That would be their financial justification for doing so.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Sirius would buy XM not the other way around. XM blows and they know it that is why it is all basically Sirius in the states because they are 100X better than XM.
You're kidding, right?

XM playlists on the decades channels were 100X deeper than anything Sirius had. And Sirius' "First Wave" paled in comparison to XM's "Fred" for early alternative music.

All Sirius had going for it was Howard Stern.

IMHO the acquisition... er... merger of XM and Sirius in the US completely neutered XM's programming.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't think an OFFICIAL Canadian merger is on...
  • They'd have to get competition board approval.
  • The CRTC has a policy of applying a 10% "transfer tax" to transfers of ownership of licences
  • The 10% will be the least of their worries with the CRTC. The whole licencing structure for SiriusXM will be opened up for review, just as if they were applying for it the first time. It was a pain last time, and they don't want to go through it again.
What I see instead as a viable scenario is the following...
  • SiriusXM in the US files Chapter 11
  • Under Chapter 11, they are allowed to unilaterally revoke contracts. So they revoke their contract with XM-Canada
  • XM-Canada surrenders its licence to the CRTC.
  • AFTER SURRENDURING ITS LICENCE, XM-Canada sells off its assets to Sirius-Canada, distributes the proceeds to shareholders and winds up its business. Because it's no longer a licence-holder, this is not treated as purchase of a licence-holder, which by-passes any need for CRTC hearings.
Getting rid of one of its Canadian licencees means that SiriusXM frees up approximately a dozen Can-Con channels which currently have a small listenership. That would be their financial justification for doing so.
Only problem with that justification is that Sirius XM isn't the one paying to make and produce the Canadian content channels, it's the Canadian companies that are doing that. So that couldn't be used as a cost saving measure by the US company. True they broadcast it through the satellite, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes...
Only problem with that justification is that Sirius XM isn't the one paying to make and produce the Canadian content channels, it's the Canadian companies that are doing that. So that couldn't be used as a cost saving measure by the US company. True they broadcast it through the satellite, but that's it.
Let me re-phrase that... SiriusXM could use the dozen or so freed-up channels for more attractive content which would lure more subscribers.

Another problem with the current setup is that Canadian customers can't get the "best of" packages because the 2 Canadian distributers haven't merged like in the US. Rationalizing the Canadian distribution system will mean fewer potential Canadian customers pissed off about not being able to get the channels they want. Given the Sirius-Canada Can-Con channels, Canadian subscribers should be able to pick over 100 channels from the 2 menus and still be within CRTC limits.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts