Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just reached my 1-year anniversary with XM Canada. I have been subscribing to their month-month (quarterly billing) plan from the beginning. I received a call today from a representative thanking me for my loyalty and trying to upsell me to a yearly subscription plan. I asked what kind of deal they would give me, and they wouldn't budge on their regular price for a year's subscription. I mentioned that I was contemplating cancelling my subscription (we have poor reception in some areas of town which frequently causes drop-outs of audio, which can get quite annoying), and he immediately switched his tone. He offered to give me a year's subscription at regular price and they would waive the 97cent monthly royalty fee for the entire year. An extra $15 in my pocket really wasn't worth the bargaining. I told him to keep me on the quarterly plan, because the offer just doesn't justify me putting up $200 up front, even though I might get a month free in the long run. He then offered me a year of XM radio online for free. I thought about it, but again, I just couldn't justify the upfront cost. He thanked me and hung up. A savings of $20 a year is all they were willing to offer me? Loyalty just isn't what it used to be. Don't take this as a complaining thread, I just wanted to offer everyone what the current loyalty offer is at the moment, in case anyone is up for renewal.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Good thing you didn't take it...they are getting rid of the online streaming...:eek:

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My guess is XM realizes it can't grow its customer base much so they have to start getting more from existing customers.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Honestly, I don't understand all the demands for loyalty discounts. The price is whatever you can negotiate. If you don't like it, drop the service. Why does everyone have this expectation that they're entitled to a discount just because they demand one?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Good thing you didn't take it...they are getting rid of the online streaming...:eek:
No, they are not getting rid of the on-line streaming.

They're getting rid of free on-line streaming.

It must be a grandfathered thing because I looked into XM on-line last summer the only one available to me was the Online+ service.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Why does everyone have this expectation that they're entitled to a discount just because they demand one?
I think you exaggerate when you say, everyone has this expectation.

Having said that, I think that people feel foolish when they find out that others have asked for a deal and got it.

Who wants to find out they paid $15 a month for something that someone else paid $7 a month for?

The fool now is the one that doesn't demand a discount.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Well said Hugh, I always ask for a discount.... at this time I am paying $4.99 a month for 6 months and Jan 1/2011 the jig is up. I feel the service is worth no more than $7 a month and if I can`t get that price or less I will not continue with the service....

I like the service but I also can live with out it. If I do not get it I will not shed a tear for not getting it or for canceling. I do not demand the discount I always ask respectfully...I just will never pay $15.00 a month for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I had mentioned, this wasn't meant to be a complaining or "I didn't get what I wanted" thread. I happily kept my quarterly subscription and am paying FULL price for my service without online access to my radio stations. I am getting what I am entitled to get based on what I am paying them. My beef was more or less with the fact that I see people getting $4.99/month offers or ridiculously low offers, but they are only offered when someone calls and demands to cancel their account, and not to the people who have paid in full and never complained about their service. Even a friendly call saying we're giving you one month at half price due to your loyalty would have been nice. I'm not that concerned, and just wanted to let everyone know what the current promo offer was for those who are up for renewal.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
There is a big difference between the XM U.S. service and the Canadian service.

If you threaten to cancel with XM U.S., they will try and "save" the account and give you a deal.

If you threaten to cancel with XM Canada, they let you go through with it and then send you a deal by e-mail and/or phone with a reduced price.

If you want to pay full price, go ahead. Everything is negotiable and I negotiate everything.

I just renewed my XM Canada sub at $4.99/month for six months with no royalty fee.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Last January when my renewal was up, I had called to cancel and they offered me the 6 months for $30 deal (billed $15 every 3 months).

They messed up on the second billing and charged me full price.
I called in about that, they corrected it and gave me an additional 3 months for $15.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also got the same communication.. 6 months for $30? i am there.

Update -- or maybe not...

apparently the promo code they gave me doesn't actually work.. the one for $99 a year does... but not the 6 month one... (it is accepted as a code, but doesn't apply any discounts, while the one year code does...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Are your renewal dates coming up?

I haven't seen the $4.99/month offer yet.
Hopefully I'll get one, otherwise I won't be able renew my sub in late January.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just renewed for one year for $137.xx all in, including XMRO+, royalty fee, taxes.

Not great (for the past year I paid about $80 and was using XMRO free), but I really like the service, and they were willing to throw in XMRO+ for free with the (slightly) discounted price, so I decided to give them another year.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just renewed XM 6 mos @ $4.99 each... they gave me a promo code via e-mail that I used... if you don't have any luck asking for the $4.99/month for 6 month w/o it, pm me and see if that'll work...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I called today and they didnt offer me anything via email of on the phone. After speaking to a supervisor they offered my either 3 months @ 4.99. Or 1 year @ 137.

And made a point to tell me that because I had been receiveing discounts on each of the last 4 years that I would not be alowed to use one again at any point on my account.

And that that is the reason I do not receive discounts via email. And that it was unfair to their other customers. What a joke! Never felt so unwanted as a customer before.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts