Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced my receiver (Pioneer VSX-9140 replacing a VSX-816) and it appears that my CNP-1000 XM tuner, which worked fine with my old receiver, does not work with my new one. When it is plugged in, the display on the receiver says "Upgrade Tuner" and the manual states that the CNP-1000 does not work.

I did locate on a major retailer website an XM Mini-tuner and a Mini-tuner Home Dock, which I can order online, each for about $50. Am I correct that I need to get both of these (the tuner plugs into the dock?)

I called XM (like my receiver manual said to do) but XM customer service doesn't believe there is anything newer than the CNP-1000 (which I have confirmed doesn't work). I called a local stereo shop that was listed on the XM website and they didn't believe that there is anything newer than the CNP-1000 either.

I have never seen any of these in stores. I recall that it was very difficult to track down my original CNP-1000. Does anyone actually listen to XM (or Sirius) on their receivers?

Why do they bother making receivers XM-Ready if nobody is going to sell the required accessories?

Are Sirius antennas easier to find (my receiver has a connection for that too, but I already have an XM account)?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up ordering the CNP-2000 XM Mini-tuner and home dock and it arrived this morning. A quick call to XM Canada to change my radio ID in their records and I am up and running.

I seem to get a much better signal than my old tuner provided. On the other hand, I recently moved to a new apartment in the same building and I now have a unobstructed view of the CN Tower (XM broadcasts from the CN tower?)

EDIT: Am I right that there is only one XMHD channel (XM/Sirius Pops Classical Channel 77)? Is there any hope for more HD channels in the future?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The XM repeater is actually on First Canadian Place.

I have an Altec Lansing dock in my office on Bay Street and I have to aim the antenna waaay up to get a signal (the buildings around me block direct satellite reception).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see FCP pretty clearly from my window as well. I get 100% terrestrial signal and 0% satellite (I guess the building across the street blocks the satellite completely).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts