Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Xlink BTTN or now Seimens gigabit one as a cell phone receiver into home phone network PLUS voip into the adapter & no landline:confused:
Why is this not more popular-- Voip for long distance calls saving cell phone minutes
I am with voip.ms & works fine with landline & 2 line phone

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
While I don't know about those devices, it is possible to use a phone that supports SIP as a local phone on an analog phone line. I have worked on VoIP PBXs where this is a trivial matter. You should be able to do similar with a VoIP adapter with a FXO port. Those phones should also be able to connect to VoIP providers, such as voip.ms. My Android phone can be configured to use VoIP.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I don't know about those devices, it is possible to use a phone that supports SIP as a local phone on an analog phone line. I have worked on VoIP PBXs where this is a trivial matter. You should be able to do similar with a VoIP adapter with a FXO port. Those phones should also be able to connect to VoIP providers, such as voip.ms. My Android phone can be configured to use VoIP.
Thanks James I have ordered X link & will post results once I get it

Curious about android phone as using voip - must be physically connected to the phone?

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
^^^^
My phone can be configured to use VoIP. Earlier version of Android couldn't, but software could be installed that could use VoIP. You could use WiFi to connect to your own VoIP. With other software, you can also connect to VoIP providers by using data over the cell network.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Voip already and HTC one V using Ice cream sandwich so hopefully one day I'll see about it so even Voip calls will pass via Xlink into home phones. Can you tell this old codger what I need to look for or download specifically Thanks again

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
^^^^
As I mentioned, I have no experience with those devices you mentioned, so I can't offer advice with them. However, your Android phone should be able to talk directly to voip.ms. Do they support multiple "extensions" on the same number?

A while ago, I picked up a Cisco SPA3102, intending to use it to make my smart phone a local extension, but I haven't got around to doing that yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have any experience with Xlink BTTN or now Seimens gigabit one as a cell phone receiver into home phone network PLUS voip into the adapter & no landline:confused:
Why is this not more popular-- Voip for long distance calls saving cell phone minutes
I am with voip.ms & works fine with landline & 2 line phone
Got the Xlink BTTN unit today Paired with 2 phones AND running VOIPms output as my "landline" No more bell & Voip for LD to anyone not on my favourites list This is with a Cisco PAP2T voip unit
Everything forwards to my cordless phone network in the house & the range of bluetooth connection is great

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the Xlink BTTN unit today Paired with 2 phones AND running VOIPms output as my "landline" No more bell & Voip for LD to anyone not on my favourites list This is with a Cisco PAP2T voip unit
Everything forwards to my cordless phone network in the house & the range of bluetooth connection is great
Well not so great Need more testing Phone in using a cellphone not linked resulted in no connection I think the receiving Phone has to be unlocked It did not pass through to home phones

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well not so great Need more testing Phone in using a cellphone not linked resulted in no connection I think the receiving Phone has to be unlocked It did not pass through to home phones
Everything worked last night on a LD call cell phone via Voip to home phones except the voice mail on the cell phone does not get a signal to quit

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out range is not so great Phones connect several rooms apart BUT audio quality is poor unless units are close to the XLink

As long as you are connected the cell phone outcalls get automatically directed out on the "landline" which in my case is the VOIP line so you don't eat cell phone minutes

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More problems

Now having a connect/disconnect problem with HTC v & X to home phone connection through XLINK. Phones ring but don't connect on answering via the cordless phones or the corded phone. Tried moving the XLINK away from router (wireless signal interfere?) - No better. I am thinking it may be some set up problem in the HTC phones :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one of the XLink BTTN devices.

You may want to update the firmware to the latest level.

If you are a Microsoft Windows user, go to the official XLink website and download the firmware updater at http://www.myxlink.com/software_updates.aspx

Install the updater--you'll also need a USB printer-type cable--and update the firmware. This will take 5-10 minutes and must not be interrupted: wait for the message that the process is complete, don't guess.

Finally, use the updater controls to set the device to the North American default configuration.

The updater can also activate custom code for certain cell-phones that don't do things the standard way, as well as do all kinds of guru-level feature customization.

The user manual PDF http://www.myxlink.com/user_manuals.aspx is much more detailed than the leaflet included in the box. It may help as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts