Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
From my experience you are better to get hold of a independent tech, unless things changed in the last few years. When I want 75 related gear they asked all sorts of questions and were wondering where I was that I needed 75 gear.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I told SD I needed a 75cm LNB. They asked why and I told them I brought my HAH dish back in town. I live in Calgary so they wouldn't mail me a LNB. I just in stalled my 75cm dish and they came out and swapped out the old LNB (no cost involved).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You can temporarily change your channel map to match the type of LNB you have. You may not get the best results as the focal lengths are different for the 60 vs 75 dish.

Press OPTIONS, 1, 1, 2, 2

Select X4C (4321) for the Triple xKu LNB

Select Q4C (4320) for the Dual Quad LNB

This will let you at least test the setup. Getting the correct LNB would be best.
Is this temporary change per-receiver, or does it effect every box on the account?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
brilliant - thanks. I’m finally going to put my xKu on (had it for a couple of years, lol) and see what all the excitement’s about....lol

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's temporary per receiver.
I installed the xKu. After installation, I checked a bunch of channels (on the dual quad I had Classic East lineup). I lost all the radio channels, all the Stingray channels, and nearly all the SD channels between 300 and 700, with the screen showing a "lost signal" warning.

Why would this be - due to a mapping error between old and new LNB?

I then did the temporary xKu switch on one receiver, and I think everything is back, although the odd channel here and there is showing "lost signal". Oh, and when the temporary change is done, from the looks of it I have NEW (Advanced?) channel lineup, correct?

Do I need to do any dish adjustment after changing out the Dual Quad for the Triple xKu, and if so, before I tell Shaw to permanently change my map, or after? And what's a good channel for testing a xKu? I did a quick check of signal level, and the xKu may be a tad lower - does that sound right?

thanks

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Your dish might need a bit of tweeking and did you seat the LNB all the way on the arm. Not sure about what channel lineup you will end up with with the temporary map. When you are ready to call in you can probably indicate which channel lineup you want. IF you happen to be in a southern province I wouldn't pick the new National lineup yet as there will channels you will lose temporarily. Channels like CTV News, CBC News, TCM will only be carried in HD on the National lineup. The HD signal is on G1 but the ones I mentioned plus a couple others will move to an F bird. If you are in the G1 footprint then there is no reason not to go with the National lineup.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks - good point about the three maps and satellites etc. And I didn't realize if you selected the NATIONAL MAP you'd lose channels - mainly the SD versions? I'll go over the lists. I guess my biggest concern is the strength, and which satellite to point at for tweaking. The LNB is seated right down and screwed in well, but it's worth a more detailed look in the days ahead.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's temporary per receiver.
the actual number that shows up for the old, Quad LNB is Q4C 4322, not 4320. If I re-install the old LNB, and tried to revert back to that and it doesn't take, any suggestions? I did just that - re-installed the old LNB, and returned the receiver to the QC4 setting, but at the moment, the one receiver I worked with is still showing the guide info for the ADVANCED channel map.
I have to get back to MAP 4320 I believe, but that's not a choice - can it be done manually, numerically somehow?

UPDATE: apparently the old, Classic East map doesn't exist as self-selection item anymore. Luckily a receiver refresh corrected it :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Apparently it will "kind of" work. It'll mount physically, but your focal points will be off, so it definitely won't be optimal. I would just chat in and ask for 75 cm replacement instead of trying to finagle it.
Do you know if I change my LNB to the xKu in my closet, will I be able to keep the old, Classic East channel map until the mandatory National switchover in the Fall? I’d like to install the new LNB, but not at the expense of losing the old, Classic map just yet...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes, but my fear of course, is the knowledge and ability of CSR’s to be able to select a channel map that currently isn’t available for us, the general public to select ... 4320 I think it is - doesn’t show up as a user-selection.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It appears they have hard coded the advanced channel maps in the setup to be able to toggle between Ku and xKu. Giving 4 to the end user would be confusing. The ability to change in the settings is primarily a diagnostic thing only. I have no doubt the CSRs are well versed in the Classic vs Advanced channel maps. They have to deal with them every day. The new National maps would probably be more unusual to deal with. Generally if they are making a change a find most CSRs verify a couple channels before they hang up. You could also request that they verify a couple key channels to make sure you have the correct map before you end the call.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If a xKu LNB had a previous channel lineup associated with it (Advanced, let’s say for argument), can it be changed to Classic by a CHAT CSR?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The LNB on the house dish was changed to a xKu LNB tri sat, quad connection several months ago and the required changes to my HDDSR 600 and all is fine. I receive the new HD channels.

I tested a second dish for possible future use in my workshop , but was not able to receive sound or picture on the tv. The second LNB is the same model as the one on the house. Also, I used the receiver from the house which works fine in the house, but not on my workshop test.

Using an inline signal strength meter shows I have signal but apparently is not being recognized by the receiver. I know I'm on the proper signal as I used the previous LNB (the one removed from the house previously ) to verify the signal and it works.

In my searches on this forum I found the LNB is a passive box and requires no code to be sent to it. Based on the fact the receiver works in the house I would presume it must be OK?. Would appreciate any suggestions.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts