Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this morning, when I go to CNN's web-site I get this pop-up: "xd_proxy.css and static.ak.fbcdn.net" I googled it and it is something from facebook. CNN is the only site that this message appeared. Since I don't really trust facbook's security, or have much time for them period. DOes anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem. I am also getting the notification on huffingtonpost.com. I noticed both CNN and HuffPost have embedded Facebook Connect boxes, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I found this thread by googling xd_proxy.css, it's the second result...hopefully someone can tell us what's up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you regarding the facebook connection. My guess is that with the recent changes that f/b made to their site, and their clearly demonstrated security issues, it is somehow messing up some sites.

Huffington Post....you got there by accident...right? :):D

one of the keys to the mystery is that "they" know we are in Canada as is evidenced by the <fbcdn> in the string.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I believe that it has something to do with how Facebook and CNN (as well as other websites) interact to allow you to "Like" articles on their site for friends to see and to be posted to your Facebook profile.

EDIT: I logged out of my Facebook account and again visited cnn.com to find that this pop-up no longer appeared.
(OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.6, using Chrome 8.0.552.237)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was not logged into fb at the time this was happening. BUT, check out this link from Zdnet news regarding fb and "instant personalization" fb are sneeky little PRI*Ks! and a PITA.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...p.s. making the changes fixed the problem. It's unbelievable, just how much personal information they try to steal quietly....BAST***ds. No wonder they have made a tonne of money. Bet that Cciss and intelligence agencies are scooping up all that they want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts