Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a PS3 but can't decide against the 40 gig or the 80 gig. Is the extra memory worth it?? My current 10 gig 360 hasn't run out of memory so I don't see why I would need 80 gigs.

Other than movie downloads what else would I need so much memory for?? I don't hold my music on the 360.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a 60GB that is about half full after about 6 months. It has pictures, music, downloaded movie previews, etc. and downloaded demo games on it. If you really need more HD space you can always upgrade the HD which is very easy on the PS3.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Actually, it's just PS2 games that the 40 GB doesn't play from what I understand. All will play PS1 games.

For 40 more GB, 2 more USB ports, the media card reader and backward compatibility, I'd get the 80 GB model (or if you get lucky and stumble across a dusty old 60 GB, get that).

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Considering the 80GB model is $50 at EB, I'd say grab that one, but otherwise, get the 40GB. Doesn't seem like you'll need a lot of space, but keep in mind as others have siad, no backwards compatibility.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Just bought the 40GB model from dell. With the PS3, don't even worry about the hard drive. You can EASILY upgrade it yourself. Pop out and pop in a 2.5" (notebook size) SATA drive. Looks like $100 will get you 100GB now. And you don't need to do it now. Wait until the 40GB fills up, and then prices will be even cheaper.

To see how easy it is to change the drive, search youtube for "change Ps3 drive".

BTW, I don't care for older games. So that wasn't a concern for me.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I just upgraded my orginal 20 GB PS3 (which has the 4 USB ports and backwards comp) to a 60 GB HD I pulled out of a Mac Mini (to upgrade it to 120 GB). Killed 2 birds with one stone. :)

The physical replacement of the drive took 5 minutes. The data back up is very much fool proof and all my game saves and other data (music, etc.) were restored on the new drive. That process took about half an hour.

Very easy to do...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts