Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beware if you plan to downgrade from a Gold to Silver membership of Xbox Live.

I decided to revert to Silver due to rarely playing anything online, and the fact that they continue to screw over Canadian's in price by making us pay $10.25/mo. (Yes I know the 12 Month subscription card is a better value but that locks you in for 12 months, I prefer to pay monthly).

I had done this once before back in the summer, and ended up getting Gold again when Halo 3 came out. There were no problems then. However today I got off the phone with a microsoft CSR absolutely apalled.

He informed me that if I cancelled my Gold subscription and revert to silver, ALL of my gamerscore achievements would be reset to 0. I asked him to explain that again, and to make sure he wasn't deleting my entire account from their servers, just reverting to Silver. He stated that was still the case, that because of the Fall Update they implemented in early December, when you revert to Silver, everything you've accomplished over the years is as good as history. I asked why they started doing this when they didn't before, and his only response was to blame the newest dashboard update.

I sent off an email to Microsoft asking if this was indeed true. I haven't recieved anything back yet, but I hope to God this is just a case of completely incompetent CSR work. If however they have indeed changed their policies, this is downright disgusting. If it turns out to be the case, I will never be spending another cent on anything Microsoft touches.

On a side note, while discussing this with other canadian's, some claim to be billed only 7 dollars a month for the monthly plan of Xbox Live. Does anyone else here get that price? They've been charging me 10.25/mo for over a year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't see how gamerscore has anything to do with xbox live, your gamerscore is scored locally on your machine they can't mess with it

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Entropy, have you ever spent hours and hours playing a game to try and unlock an achievement? I'm guessing you havent. Because I have. I'm proud of the accomplishments I've made. Gamerscore is like a form of virtual street cred. It's the backbone of the Xbox Live service aside from the actual online gaming itself. I have spent countless hours doing things I hate to do in games, collecting 100 of this, scoring 100 headshots with ___ weapon. Playing through some really tough games in maximum difficulty. To say "so what"... I mean the points are second thing you see when you look at a gamertag, the name itself being the first. That's pretty important.

And when you sign on to Xbox Live your gamerscore is updated from the xbox itself. But if they issue a kind of flag on the gamertag, that when attempting to update, revert to 0, then what can you do? It's happened to others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quantum...I agree with you about the gamerscore points, I see them as personal accomplishments that I have put in extra time playing certain games and to have them dissapear because of downgrading to silver is a poor decision by MSFT if that is the case. I recently had a friend who's gold membership expired, and he did not lose his gamerscore, but it was probably just around the time the latest Xbox Live update so cant confirm the timing.

Secondly, Gold membership is very well worth it. As I don't know your financial situation, I will say that buying a 12+1 card from a retailer is well worth the purchase as it comes out to be $5.21 a month taxes included. This would be paid for after 6 months, when compared to monthly billing through MSFT. Of course, I play online quite a bit due to 50 people on my friends list are mostly friends over the age of 30 so its mostly always casual gaming.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have spent countless hours doing things I hate to do in games, collecting 100 of this, scoring 100 headshots with ___ weapon. Playing through some really tough games in maximum difficulty. To say "so what"... I mean the points are second thing you see when you look at a gamertag, the name itself being the first. That's pretty important.
I still say "so what?". You said you don't play online, so why worry about your "street cred"? Gamerscore is ultimately meaningless--I've played with people with high gamerscores who were only average (or worse) gamers; I've been owned by people with low gamerscores (especially Halo 3!).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't see how gamerscore has anything to do with xbox live, your gamerscore is scored locally on your machine they can't mess with it
MSFT actually stores this info in case you need to recover gamertag.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I still say "so what?". You said you don't play online, so why worry about your "street cred"? Gamerscore is ultimately meaningless--I've played with people with high gamerscores who were only average (or worse) gamers; I've been owned by people with low gamerscores (especially Halo 3!).
I could give two craps about achievements and gamerscore as well, but this is the defining feature of Live that people really care about it seems. People love to actually get these achievements and it's the number 1 thing people use to compare to other online offerings. Gamerscore and Achivements is huge (and it is also hyped by MS as well) and as such, it is a serious blight if this is true.

I have asked some folks in another forum about this and it gets frequented by developers and industry folks so hopefully they'll be able to shed some light.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The gamerscore doesn't reflect one's gaming ability in online "vs" games. It simply shows you've done certain things in games. I personally think some of them are downright fun.
Crazy ones like "Fall 30 feet to your Death" or "find the highest point on the map" are mini-games within the game, almost like side quests in RPGs, they are nothing more than simple distractions when you are either done with the main game path or just bored.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Crazy ones like "Fall 30 feet to your Death" or "find the highest point on the map" are mini-games within the game, almost like side quests in RPGs, they are nothing more than simple distractions when you are either done with the main game path or just bored.
Fair enough. But if MS takes your gamerscore away does that take away from the fun you already had? And even though your score gets reset to 0, I would assume that your acheivements do not get reset as they are tied to your save games. I have run into people online who had 0 gamerscores but when I checked out their profile they did have acheivements.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gamerscore doesn't have to mean that you're really good at online play. I personally pretty much suck at most console games online, that's why I never played much. Whenever I DID play a game online, it was to play Co-Op like Halo 3 or Gears Of War. And yes I know I will technically remember that I have accomplished those achievements. But when you spend hours and hours trying to get the points to buff up your numbers and then have them all ruined, it's pretty disappointing. I mean, if a thief breaks into some sports athlete's home and steals all of his medals, olympic or not, even though he knows he's technically won in the past, it's a big blow to your morale.

Gamerscore points is about the -only- thing that microsoft has a hold over us with. And even if you yourself don't care about that, shouldn't the concept of an extremely poor business decision effect your opinion on the company? At the very least I'd say it merits a lack of trust in anything Xbox Live has to offer.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Most people I have talked to have said that your CSR is full of Sh*t. They recommend you call MS back and re-explain your scenario and ask this new CSR whether your gamerscore remains intact.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Why are you even calling in to cancel? You can do all of this on your 360 AFAIK. You don't need to call in to move to silver. And I'm with calvin on this, I haven't seen or heard of anyone losing their gamerscore when going from gold to silver. I think it's the outsourced CSR that is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can't cancel gold subscription over the console. When you attempt to do so you get a messege telling you to call the number and request it by phone.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And even if you yourself don't care about that, shouldn't the concept of an extremely poor business decision effect your opinion on the company? At the very least I'd say it merits a lack of trust in anything Xbox Live has to offer.
No, the fact that my third 360 is crapping out on me has taken care of that.

Even if MS resets your score to zero you can always change your motto to "GS +10,000. f u M$". Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Quantum,

Here is a response from an MS insider:

Never heard any such plan. If you guys hear stuff like this, please get the CSR's name and send it my way so that I can forward it to folks who can stop them from giving out misinformation.
If you have the CSR's name, I can pass it along to this guy. Otherwise, just ignore what that guy said.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Even after going through 2 faulty 360s all my scores and achievements have remained intact, simply by transferring the original HDD from console to console.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QuantumFluxx, I believe the problem is what you were asking the CSR to do. You were asking him/her to cancel your Gold subscription so that it will downgrade to Silver, which is not possible like you asked. The only way to go from Gold to Silver without creating a new account (and thus losing your gamerscore) is to not have any payment methods (Credit/Debit cards) attached to your account so that you have no auto renewal methods available. When this is the case (no cards on the account) then your account will simply become a Silver account when the Gold expires, but you can't simply cancel the Gold, doing so cancels the account not the Gold status.

So, if you want to go from Gold to Silver when your Gold expires you need to phone the support line again and ask the CSR to remove all cards from your account. This should achieve what you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts