Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using windows 7 pro 64 bit, ati tv wonder 650 usb and Shaw's DCT 700 (Standard Definition Cable Box) hooked up using composite.

Recently, only some of my recordings are recording as protected wtv, it appears to be random, not just one show completely (sometimes a show records with wtv protected and most of the times it doesn't) and also for different channels.

I would expect this to happen to premium movie channels and hd channels, but not in regular sd channels. Did Shaw change something to make some sd stuff protected? Or is there something wrong with my equipment?

At first, when I look at the properties of the protected wtv recordings, under the protected it says yes. But lately it says no and I'm unable to convert it to dvrms using windows 7 converter. I get an error saying that it cannot be converted because it is a protected wtv. Also the first channel I started getting protected wtv recordings became really choppy and unwatchable and now only says the following: "ONE MOMENT PLEASE This channel should be available shortly. Ref code S0a00" It's been like that for over a week.

Can some1 please help me?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
It could be a bug in Win MC - have you applied all of the updates. It is also possible that something called CGMS-A is causing the problem. This is a way of protecting content that technically doesn't exist in Canada but Windows Media Center does obey it and Canadian cable channels and/or BDUs occasionally have the protection turned on. They refuse to do anything about it since it is not regulated in Canada and nothing seems to obey it except for Media Center and MS has refused to ignore this flag for Canadians (at least they have in the past). This caused me and many other Canadians tons of headaches a few years ago with WinXP MCE.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Here is a blog posting on that CGMS-A issue from a few years ago (From 10Jun2008). Note that this patch didn't deal with the issue that you are mentioning which is when you use an STB.

Microsoft Patches “Broadcast Flag”/CGMS-A Issues
Today Microsoft is will a patch to correct the issues seen in last month’s reported “Broadcast Flag” issues. In reality, the fix is for CGMS-A and the official word is still that Media Center doesn’t support the Broadcast Flag. Last month’s issue propagated from CGMS-A being on the analog source data that was broadcast by NBC.

The patch changes functionality in Media Center for CGMS-A on antenna and non-STB configurations where CGMS-A CopyNever (1:1) will be recorded as CopyOnce (1:0) effectively ending the “Recording Prohibited” messages seen last month. This means if CGMS-A finds its way onto an OTA broadcast it will always be recorded, but if CGMS-A is set it will be protected once recorded. If you are using analog cable (no STB) the same takes places.

For configurations using STBs, this patch doesn’t fix any of the existing CGMS-A issues which include incorrect and otherwise excessive CopyNever flags (Sorry Canadians). I’ve made sure this issue is still on the table at Microsoft, but currently there is no official fix (other than unplugging your STB). Personally I’d like to see the issue fixed in the same manor, but that does present issues with content that is supposed to be CopyNever on an STB. The other option would be to just disable CGMS-A when Media Center is setup using a Canadian postal code.

The patch should be up on Windows Update now (KB950126 - June Cumulative Update) and related download link is posted below.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. My pc is completely up to date (no more updates in windows update). After doing some searches about protected wtv, I also found that CGMS issue with stb also. But their problem was solve by not using s-video, I'm using composite so I'm not sure if its the same problem.

The other problem seems to be that some recordings, when I try to convert to dvrms using the built in converter in windows 7, it says its a protected wtv. But when I looked at the properties, under protected it has a no. I tried it with both my laptop and desktop. Both had the same result. I don't know why its happening.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
This isn't going to help you, but it is issues like this that caused me to switch from Windows MC to SageTV a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all ur help.

@danbcman I tried that and even used another pc. I didn't work.

I think I might have solved my problem. Here is my theory. The stb is giving an error ref code S0a00. I initially thought that there was something wrong with the box, it turns out that my splitter was physically broken and problem wasn't sending the full signal. I read that W7 MC records everything as encrypted and depending on whether it either gets a certain signal or not, it decrypts or leaves it encrypted. As I said before, my splitter was broken and not sending a complete signal. Because of this, W7 MC i not getting the complete signal to decrypt the recording and leaving it encrypted for some shows at random. Does anybody know if this can happen?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts