Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is bit of a followup to a previous thread I had posted regarding installing Win 7 over Xp.

Well, the install has been done. At the same time I decided to replace the power unit and get rid of the multitude of fans in my case to cut down on noise. The guts of my system are somewhat old; motherboard is an ASUS A8V-deluxe which is using a 6200AGP GeForce video card. All the drivers have been updated. The problem is that randomly and every so often, the display screen will have these coloured lines on it. These are more like small dots like the screen is getting fuzzy (the monitor is a Samsung T220). If I right click on desktop and hit refresh, the display will clear except for anything in the taskbar or in the menu portion of open windows. Another thing I've noticed is that if I select an area on the desktop with my mouse, the selected portion will clear itself of the fuzzy dots. Rebooting will clear everything up as well. Everything was fine prior to the recent changes so I'm not sure what has happened. I'm hesitant to buy a new video card and sink more dollars into an aging system. Could this be a Win 7 issue which is overtaxing the card?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
At the same time I decided to replace the power unit and get rid of the multitude of fans in my case to cut down on noise.
Err.. you still do have SOME fans, right?
They're there for a reason, not just to make noise :p

Sounds like GPU might be overheating if you cut back on airflow too much.
While being onboard, it uses less power and creates less waste heat, it can still overheat if you dont have airflow over it.
Unlike a dedicated GPU or CPU, there's no HSF on it to actively cool it so you need case air to flow over.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There were a few fans left in the case (down from the 5 it had). The upgraded power supply had an improved fan.

I finally figured out that by disabling some of the power management features (hibernation) it cleared things up. I still don't know what caused the little dashes on the screen--but obviously related to the power settings. They would slowly appear over time when the computer would just be running but not used (in hibernate mode I would guess). Thankfully I held off on purchasing a replacement video card.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts