Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anybody see a difference in signal reception between ATSC 1.0 vs 3.0?

Are you getting higher/better signal levels on your TV/receiver with the 3.0 signal?

Supposedly, 3.0 is less prone to interference/easier to receive.
I did a test where I was using a coaxial cable as an antenna. Both WUTV (1.0) and WNYO (3.0) were coming in when I had the cable stationary. I then started to move the cable up and down, simulating movement. Almost immediately, the 1.0 station started pixelating but 3.0 held strong. It was until I really started moving it up and down with heavy force that the picture started malfunctioning. Interestingly, when the 3.0 signal was below the SNR, the video became a gray outline of the video for a few seconds and then it would freeze. It reminds me so much of a weak NTSC analog station. A color NTSC broadcast would “turn” black and white when it was weak. The 3.0 wasn’t pixelating in the conventional sense that we know of with 1.0. I don’t know if this was just the way the HDHomerun decodes the signal or if this is how all 3.0 receivers handle it. Regardless, I thought my findings were interesting. Also, when the picture dropped the 3.0 signal’s audio didn’t sound like a dying robot. It would just stutter.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
If i purchase the HDHomerun box, how can i view it on my TV.
Most DLNA and UPnP AV compatible media players should work. Apps are available for Android, Fire TV, iOS, Mac OS, Windows, Roku and Xbox One. Smart TVs that incorporate one of those platforms may also have the app available. In addition, there are several platforms that support the HDHomeRun DVR software as well as some that support DVR software from third parties. Third party apps include Plex, Jellyfin, Emby and Kodi.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most DLNA and UPnP AV compatible media players should work. Apps are available for Android, Fire TV, iOS, Mac OS, Windows, Roku and Xbox One. Smart TVs that incorporate one of those platforms may also have the app available. In addition, there are several platforms that support the HDHomeRun DVR software as well as some that support DVR software from third parties. Third party apps include Plex, Jellyfin, Emby and Kodi.
Thanks, i have heard about the plex but i am going to wait until there is a tuner available. Just not worth it since here isnt any stations in my area at 3.0 yet. I have a tuner on my TV so im good for now,

81 - 83 of 83 Posts