Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It appears they've added to the stream the full slate of WBBZ and its sub-channels as well as some from WBXZ as well. Might be worth getting the 3.0 Tuner now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So does this mean I can get the WBBZ (and WBXZ) channels via a ATSC 3.0 tuner from the WNYO RF 16 signal?

I was about to get a large VHF antenna to get more reliable reception of WBBZ, but now it looks like it's probably better to get the latest (ATSC 3.0) tuner box.

·
Registered
348 Posts
WBBZ and WBXZ-LD are not available in 3.0. Only 2-1, 4-1, 7-1, 29-1, and 49-1 are provided in 3.0.

- Trip

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I was mistaken, but I hope the other local stations get on board as well, theirs plenty of bandwidth now for it with new Modulation and Compression schemes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was mistaken, but I hope the other local stations get on board as well, theirs plenty of bandwidth now for it with new Modulation and Compression schemes.
I doubt WBBZ will partake in the ATSC 3.0 lighthouse. Their signal is very bad for cable carriage reasons. Their station is hard to get in Buffalo, let alone Canada.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
WBBZ signal is stronger than you think. A relative of mine around the corner from me northeast of Toronto with a huge Yagi gets it 24/7 but I cant get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WBBZ broadcasts on Hi-VHF channel 7 using an old microwave tower, with a site that is south of the other full power affiliates for Buffalo. Unless you’re in the western portion of the Niagara Peninsula, the station will be very hard to receive, but not impossible. Having a large antenna-like you said-for Hi-VHF will help mitigate reception problems. Simply the fact that they are on Hi-VHF makes reception bad for the general population who just have small indoor UHF antennas.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
If I knew I was guaranteed reception at my location with a Huge Yagi, I'd purchase one. WBBZ has a lot of the best Sub channels. I hope they jump on the NextGen 3.0 bandwagon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I knew I was guaranteed reception at my location with a Huge Yagi, I'd purchase one. WBBZ has a lot of the best Sub channels. I hope they jump on the NextGen 3.0 bandwagon.
Have you tried rabbitears.info? If not, conduct a reception search. Any signal margin above 0dB is usually obtainable. This should help you find out if you can receive WBBZ.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'm already using a small yagi specifically cut for RF7-13 and WBBZ only works occasionally in warm weather but not reliable.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
... or even rogers/bell ...
Don't worry about them, it's the content producers (studios, sports leagues) that are the biggest threat. It's all about rights and getting maximum amount for selling those rights. Lots of stuff in ATSC 3.0 to meet this end.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Simply the fact that they are on Hi-VHF makes reception bad for the general population who just have small indoor UHF antennas.
Whether they realize it or not, these are people that are not even TRYING to receive it.
Agree, not likely see any change in the list of stations participating in ATSC3 for quite some time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
As much as I can receive RF 16, I see no benefit here in Canada at this time to attempt to purchase a 3.0 Tuner, especially when I can receive every station in 1.0 without issue with the exception of WBBZ and WBXZ. Mind you I would like some of the sub channels carried by both the above mentioned.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
So who will be watching ATSC 3.0 broadcasts?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I will when there is an affordable tuner device available.
Preferably something with PCIe or USB interface for PC, to play around with in linux.
I think ATSC1.0 was around for about 4 or 5 years before I ever had a device to play around with. I now have 7 pc based devices, a couple CECB, the STB, plus several TVs.
Then there are the numerous PC based tuners for satellite TV.
Might need a few more soon.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
That's why I prefer IP based tuners with DLNA. They will support any DLNA compatible device including most smart TVs, streaming devices and PC PVR software. It also cuts out most of the, sometimes difficult to install, RG6 cabling requirements. ATSC 3.0 devices are already available.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Happen to notice much better signal qual on CIII rf 17. Taking a peek at the spectrum, notice it looks like the ATSC3 signal is off the air on RF 16, little after 8 pm, and still down at the moment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Happen to notice much better signal qual on CIII rf 17. Taking a peek at the spectrum, notice it looks like the ATSC3 signal is off the air on RF 16, little after 8 pm, and still down at the moment.
I saw that the 3.0 signal was off the air as well. I’ve been noticing that they’ve been having some intermittent drop outs every few minutes that would sometimes last 10 seconds. Also, the WGRZ feed has poor sounding compressed audio and the 1080i stations have a strange clicking sound in the audio. Doesn’t surprise me that they are off the air. They are probably correcting issues.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts