Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WNYO Buffalo is converting to ATSC 3.0 on March 18 at 10 AM. To continue receiving the ATSC 1.0 signal, a rescan will be required as they are moving their main feed to WUTV's frequency. I'm not sure what's happening with their sub-channels, or if they will still be available on ATSC 1.0 after that date.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The FCC has rules in place that ANY licensed TV station that switches to a NextGen ATSC 3.0 must make their primary plus any sub-channels they currently have contracts with, must be available on an ATSC 1.0 signal. WNYO's primary is MyNetwork, so it will have to be put on another Buffalo station's signal. They also carry Stadium, Comet, and GetTV. IF any or all of those are still under contract on March 18th, they also have to be on an ATSC 1.0 signal, although they can be spread around from different stations. That all has to be negotiated as a contract between Sinclair (WNYO owner) and whoever carries their channels.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
77 Posts
From what I see in other markets making the switch to ATSC 3.0, I think eventually, WNYO might team up with one (WUTV?) or more of the big broadcast networks. On RF 16 - ATSC 3.0, the main channel will be WNYO in 1080p/720p, but still show as 49.1; the ATSC 3.0 RF 16 subs could be the main channels for WGRZ-NBC (RF 16.2), WIVB-CBS (RF16.3), WKBW-ABC (RF16.4) and/or WUTV-FOX (RF-16.5); all of them would be 720P/1080P; and all would still be displayed as 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, and 29.1 respectively. For the original WNYO subs (Stadium, Comet, Get) they would remain as ATSC 1.0 and be a RF sub on one or more of the ATSC 1.0 for WGRZ/WIVB/WKWB/WUTV, but be displayed as 49.2, 49.3, and 49.4, and be in 480i.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
until there's a viable receiver at a decent price point, will go unseen here.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Sure do, but that means very little. Not sure what your point is.
Your TV will have to have a built in ATSC 3.0 tuner. And the fact of the matter is that very few of them do.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Bigcam firmware update for your Sony astc 3.0 tuner to work just came out.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Is updating to ATSC 3.0 a firmware update, or does the existing ATSC tuner in my Samsung TV needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
That cannot be answered without knowing the model of TV. A new tuner will be needed in most cases. I doubt any TV maker is going to replace the tuner in their customer owned TVs. An external ATSC 3.0 tuner or new TV will usually be required.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WNYO made their next gen filing, these will be their ATSC 1.0 simulcasts:
49.1 MyNetworkTV will be on WUTV's RF 32 signal
49.2 Stadium will be on WKBW's RF 34 signal
49.3 Comet will be on WGRZ's RF 33 signal
49.4 GetTV will be on WNLO's RF 36 signal

In exchange, they (or their sister stations) will get a NextGen simulcast on WNYO's RF 16 signal.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They will all still identify as 49.1 thru 49.4 regardless of who's signal they are located on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does this mean if you have a receiver that is able to handle both ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 you will have duplicate stations displaying?
For example 49.1 (from RF 16.1) in 4k and 49.1 in 720p/480i (from 32.4).
Or maybe you have to flip between tuners of the receiver?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I get a new 2021 TV that has the ATSC 3.0 tuner will I still be able to get signals coming in on ATSC 1.0?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Go4it any tv that has an ASTC 3.0 tuner will have ASTC 1.0 tuner and the silicon dust tuners are now adding a 1 in front of channel number.149.1 for WNYO.Wish remapping would end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts