Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching WNLO Buffalo (the CW) last night, and noticed in the programming guide that it had the message "due to regulatory requirements, WNLO will not be available as of March 31, 2011".

Could anyone point me in the direction of where on the CRTC website this notice of change in regulatory requirements is? I tried searching using the keyword 'WNLO' and found no notice mentionning the necessity to have the only CW channel available for access (without subscribing to the superstations) removed from cable.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Thats the first I heard of that.(Are you sure its for Canada and not US(Dish perhaps?)

If true I rather have that go,(WNLO) then MY TV (WNYO).

If you live in the GTA you can simply put a antenna up to receive either, but if your in Ottawa Rogers Cable is the only way to get either especially getting access to MY TV network.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which programming guide?
The onscreen one accessed from your box?
Or other?

Can anyone else verify this?

- Bill H.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was in the channel description when you scroll through the program guide on the box. WNYO does not contain the notice, which seems bizarre. Why would one Buffalo station be allowed to remain, but not the other? Also, I am located in Ottawa, which would means access to the channel through cable is the only way available for me.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I scrolled through the IPG for Channel 166 in Toronto for a couple of days and saw no such announcement - only the usual programme information.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Then I guess Ottawa is only getting screwed out of WNLO (CW). :(

@ MCIBUS, the notice is there in the program info descriptions for WNLO in the box's guide (with the exception of the infomercials), assuming you are in Ottawa of course.

·
Registered
172 Posts
it's there - confirmed

Yes, it is there - at least in Ottawa/Nepean.

I checked at lunch time.

It is in the program information section where one would normally see the blurb if a channel is on free preview.

In all fairness, it does not specifically mention CRTC.
Just "regulatory requirements".
Now I wonder - whose regulations?
Let's not jump to conclusions on this.

Perhaps it has something to do with the ratio of Canadian to US stations that can be carried - one USA station to four Canadian stations. I may be wrong on the ratio.

Rogers will be thanked for encouraging (driving) more (former and prospective) customers to "free" OTA reception.

- Bill H.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
I thought I read it, but I got a visual disability and perhaps I missread you post.
I'm in Ottawa(Maniitick) and I just checked and your right, I was looking at WNYO instead of WNLO. My appologies.
Well we still can get it via WPIX. I have a feeling we'll also be loosing WNYO which is to bad sine its the only way of getting MY TV Network?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Isn't WPIX one of the channels you must pay extra for?

I think WNLO is already in my package of channels.

- Bill H.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I believe you have to pay extra for WPIX.

It is just disappointing that they are removing the only CW that was part of that "basic" set of channels after 6 years. No disrespect to those who love MyNetworkTV WNYO, but it's just purely a syndication channel now, and doesn't air any original programming like the CW WNLO does. So personally, I would rather see WNYO go than WNLO.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Each to his/her own.
True you have to pay extra but I do believe you get no simo subs though I think :confused:

Don't really watch the CW at night. Its "Too Young Generation" for me. Almost all the shows are for the "UNDER 30. The 20 something generation.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It doesnt look like it is going to take place in TORONTO

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I know from the past WNYO always had Ontario carriage from the CRTC but I dont remember WNLO ever getting permission outside of the GTA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If that's the case, it seems beyond odd that it would be on the air on Rogers Cable in Ottawa for 6 years or so and them only deciding to do something about it now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Liquidthunder...
Perhaps "someone" just noticed this?
Mistakes happen (like with my spelling today).

Has anyone contacted Rogers and asked?

- Bill H.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Some idiot must have brought it to the attention of the CRTC. WNLO won't be removed in the GTA since you can pick it up with a wet toothpick it's so strong here. When you carry hundreds of channels, stuff like this could easily go unnoticed or someone misread the CRTC decision and confused WNYO with WNLO somehow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I knew bureaucracies were slow, but I didn't think it took six years for someone to notice. It's silly to me that I can get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS and MyNetworkTV with the barebones digital cable, but I'll have to pay extra soon to get the CW, which will be the only one left out of the english language broadcast networks from the US.

I wrote Rogers to inquire as to the specific reasons for the removal; hopefully they don't spit back the vague "regulatory requirements" reason at me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts