·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HDHomeRun. My HDHomeRun has three reception metres:

-Signal Strength
-Signal Quality
-Symbol Quality

I understand relatively little about all of the above.

Using my HDHomeRun Config software, when I check out RF7, there is activity there:

-Signal Strenth hovers around 35%-40%
-Signal Quality and Symbol Quality are at zero.

I have a CM4221hd and a CM 2016 mounted on the peak of my roof joined using a UVSJ. Everything is pointed directly at WGRZ. No amp until the RG6 travels from the antenna to the basement, through the grounding block and then into a basement level Kitztech 100. So there are definitely some line losses. There has to be about 40 to 50 feet of RG6 before hitting the Kitz. WBNF rf 26 is reliable all year round and WPXJ rf23 is 95%+ reliable in summer but drops out at around -3 degrees Celcius. I have installed OTA (4221hd + 7778) on two of my neighbours homes and they got ION, TCT, and Hamilton all winter.

Is it possible that my HDHomeRun is picking up sniffs of WNGS? Or could it be sniffs of CIII rf7 Midland from the back of the antenna? Keep in mind everything is pointing at the USA.

Might it be worth it for me to go up on the roof, get rid of the UVSJ and patch in a 7778 instead, and perhaps remove the 2016 and sub-in a YA-1713? I don't think my 2016 really adds any gain -- I put it there for CHCH and CFTO (and CKVR) after transition.

Is this wishful thinking?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8d17d8b38f61a1

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Is it possible that my HDHomeRun is picking up sniffs of WNGS? Or could it be sniffs of CIII rf7 Midland from the back of the antenna? Keep in mind everything is pointing at the USA.
Most likely WNGS. The CM2016 is basically a small corner reflector with rabbit ears attached. Vhf-hi on it is basically bi-directional, but in my modeling of something similar I was thinking of making, it had more gain from the back on vhf-hi. Gain on channel 7 is 2 db per CMs specs.

With about a 10 dbi vhf-hi antenna, you should be able to get that 13.4 NM WNGS station consistantly.

So there are definitely some line losses. There has to be about 40 to 50 feet of RG6 before hitting the Kitz.
At channel 7, youre probably losing about a db in total. But on channel 49, youre losing about a db every 18 foot of coax.

Might it be worth it for me to go up on the roof, get rid of the UVSJ and patch in a 7778 instead, and perhaps remove the 2016 and sub-in a YA-1713? I don't think my 2016 really adds any gain --
Yes, thats one solution. Another is that you could build a GH10n03 and do away with the UVSJ altogether.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300ohm,

You're giving me hope. But I might warn you that there has been much discussion here as to the accuracy of the WNGS TVFool info. I'm not sure if it has been updated. I'm on the eastern side of downtown Toronto. So far the only Canadians I'm aware of having reported receiving WNGS are people in Niagara-St. Catharines-Burlington. If I have a reasonable hope, I will definitely do this. Oh what a day it would be if I could report on the Toronto Outdoor thread that WNGS was available for Torontonians. The "prescription" for antenna installs would change for Toronto for anyone wanting the NY Yankees, ThisTV, Mr. Ed. etc.

As for the home built antenna, I would love to do it. I only lack a few things -- parts, know-how, belief-in-self, etc. Before summer comes, I may try to prepare for a GH build for my cottage (discussed recently in the Aylmer-Hull-Gatineau reception thread). If I figure out how to build one, then I might be ready to try for another GH build for my home in Toronto after the analog switch-off. I'm not good at interpreting the blueprints for antenna building. I wish there was a video to watch how it's done.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
But I might warn you that there has been much discussion here as to the accuracy of the WNGS TVFool info
Yeah, I know. Despite the decent NM, it is a 1 edge station for you, and those are always iffy. You may get it, but your neighbor down the street may not.

Just for the heck of it, point the back end of the CM2016 at WNGS and see if the signal strength improves. If so, thats even more hope for you.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
This thread has gone waaaaay beyond Antenna Reseach & Development, folks, so I've changed things a bit... :)

Please see the ongoing discussion in the WNGS 7 Buffalo - Reception in Canada? thread in the main OTA Forum regarding reception of it in Canada, and I encourage anyone who receives WNGS in somewhat regular fashion to post about it in their Reception Results thread for their area.

Suffice it to say for the purposes of the Antenna R&D Forum that readers should look up the best-performing antenna capable of VHF-HI Channel 7 for their needs.

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.