Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's what i want to do,,,,just don't know if it's possable as I've been scouring the internet for 3 days looking for solutions and have not really found any.

SO I want to stream TV from the satellite box to the laptop to record shows, in other words, make my new laptop a pvr, but i want to do it wireless. I really don't want to be tethered to the STB by a cable and tuner card.

I found the slingbox outputs the tv signal to the laptop, but you can't record the show for later viewing with it? sigh. Preferably want to use media center,,,because its right here staring at me!!

Have looked at all the Hauppage products but none seem to be wireless? Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Use media server software on a PC to receive and record TV. That can be streamed to the laptop over the network. Windows Media Center should do this but there are issues using and recording TV. There are a number of other options. One of the most popular is SageTV. There are also some free products, such as MediaPortal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply. But I would still need a tv tuner, eg. a usb attached to the laptop and attached to the satellite box, correct? I was wondering if this step could be done wirelessly.....I.E. not having to connect the laptop to the STB via a cable.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The TV tuner would be in the PC, either a card or USB device. The PC would be a media server. The laptop would simply be a media player (client) and would require no extra hardware.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh...gotcha. However, the PC is dead...hence the new laptop, so this is why i'm kinda starting from scratch here. Noticed hauppauge has several usb tuners, but.......need to connect to the stb to get the channels to record on laptop, and be tethered by wires......again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gorf,

Were you previously recording on your old computer? Because recording from a STB using an external EPG may be more tricky than you think. And to achieve that with a laptop wire or wireless may be difficult.
Briefly, you need a device equipped with an irBlaster to change the channel on your STB. The STB is tuning and the computer record the feed from one of the output.
Tuner are good to record from OTA and unscramble cable feed.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Coming from a totally diffferent direction, get a Series 2 TiVo with Product Lifetime. They sell for around $200. You can copy recordings to your laptop with the TiVoToGo feature. Use a Slingbox for live.

In any case, I think you are best served by some sort of DVR type device (PC or otherwise) which records directly from your cabe box, and networking that to your laptop for watching.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for your views and help.
Bob...i was not previously using the pc to record and view. I've become annoyed with my satellite provider and don't atwant to give them any more money than I already do! So i have been searching for an alternative to a dvr provided by them, even though I think this would be the easy solution.

Cat.....I haven't been able to find a tivo for sale at any local big box stores here....where did you get yours? And I assume there is still a monthly fee?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Something that will do what you want is the HDHomerun. However, it only works with ATSC signals. It's usefulness will vary greatly with your location. It would be a viable option in the Toronto area or the US. It will not work well in most of Canada yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
STB have only one tuner which mean you watch OR you record. You cannot watch on a channel and record on an other one.
You could have a device like the Hauppage HD-PVR and other similar products to manage the STB but a computer need to be connected to it. With a laptop it would need to be connected with USB and your laptop would need to be connect to power (The battery may not be sufficient to record a movie if not fully charged). If your laptop is out somewhere with you there is no recording.
A desktop pc may be more efficient to do this and then stream it wirelessly to your laptop.
There is dedicated recording device but I am not to familar with their functionnality.

·
Registered
469 Posts
HDHomeRun would work over wireless network but can only access digital broadcast from an antenna.

EDIT: Depending on your location and tv viewing habit, if you are not happy with your satellite provider; OTA may be your better solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thx Scarey and Bob for your advise. Looks like i'll have to put the kybosh on my brilliant idea of recording to the laptop wirelessly, sigh. Tivo not even for sale in Winnipeg, which I would strongly consider. Guess I'll have to stick with the stone age and keep the old vcr......noooooooooo

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
the monsoon vulkano is maybe what you're looking for

previous iteration was the Hava (i have one) and it's alright

support is non-existent if you run into troubles tho

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Cat.....I haven't been able to find a tivo for sale at any local big box stores here....where did you get yours? And I assume there is still a monthly fee?
I got all mine second hand, over ebay and a couple private deals. Yes there still is the monthly fee, but it is generaly worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wayne....I meant that I cannot find a tivo for sale at a retail store...however i'm beginning to become a big fan of kijiji......:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts