Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I wire my bedroom TV to Shaw Cable, my bedroom has no outlet. I live alone in an apartment that allows you to do your own renovations to it as long as you don't paint the walls, so on the other side of the wall, there's a cable TV outlet. Could I possibly get back in there and put a splitter going from the other side of that wall plate and make 2 cable outlets? If so, how. I'm not really a handyman. Thanks for help in advance!

·
Registered
204 Posts
You might want to get Shaw to send someone to do that for you. It's a flat $25 fee and for that you get not only the service but all the bits and pieces necessary (like cable / splitter(s) / outlet / etc). If there's an outlet on the other side of the wall, I can't imagine it'll be a big problem to make it happen.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if it's dry wall you could open up the existing box, if you can see the back of the drywall in the other room, just poke a small hole through the wall.
Then get a low voltage rework box , mark out the cut-out you need to make, install the box - it's a really easy install.

Now you need a splitter, coaxial outlet and 2 short ends with RG6 connectors on the ends. Just wire your existing coaxial cable to the input of the splitter, and then connect the 2 outputs to your cable outlets.

All in all you're looking at about 15-20 bucks worth of materials..so if shaw only charges 25 bucks, you may want to go that route instead.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You may be able to pick up the parts you need, a splitter and a couple of short lengths with connectors on them, free, from your local Shaw office. Ask. Some may still provide this service. Some, I am told, may not. They won't, in my experience, be able to supply the wall plate (what timmaywpg calls the coax outlet).

Larger lengths (max of 200 ft.) of cable were available for 5 cents per foot, special order, in advance. Ask for a "pre-wire" kit. This may be difficult, but not impossible, to get these days.

I last used both of these services in July.

Are you adding a digital box for the bedroom or just feeding it analog TV? If you are adding a digital box then Shaw might just do this (the splitter - not the low-voltage "rework" box and wall plate) for you when they come to install the box.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You could always pick up a wall plate at the dollar store if Shaw doesn't stock it

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you do get a cheap wall plate (which I too recommend) then ask at Shaw for a coupler and replace the one that came with the cheap wall plate with the one from Shaw. Replacing an old, cheap coupler in an old, cheap wall plate with one from Shaw improved my signal quality in one case. (It was acutally a Shaw tech who performed that particular replacement.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts