Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a home theatre package and one supplier is offering a wireless speaker package to entice me...

Prices are the same, the televisions are the same, and the sound systems are as follows:

wireline:

The Harmon / Kardon JBL Home Theatre System

AVR 144 with Logic 7® processing, high-current amplification, A/V Sync delay, component video switching and a host of audio enhancements. 5 x 30W 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver plays a wide range of Dolby® Digital and DTS modes Original Accessories Remote Control and Warranty Included.

wireless:

Samsung HTX50 Home Theater Sound System

1000 Watts Total / 5 Disc DVD Changer also plays CD / HDMI / Rear Wireless Ready (option) / XM Ready (subscription required) / iPod Compatible

Any watchouts for wireless speakers?
The Salesman told me that they function on infrared and they need a direct line of site... guessing the only way to achieve this would be overhead wall-mounted speakers... but if they are wireless then this wouldn't be too tough...

Truth: I have a dvd player already so the value point of the dvd player is minimal...

I am leaning towards the Harmon Kardon because I think the receive is higher quality and the speakers can always be upgraded... that and I am not sure what kind of quality I will get out of the wireless...

*the low wattage of the speakers suits me just fine cuz I lift in an industrial loft and won't blast the stereo anyway...

I welcome your inputs...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Wireless will give you convenience at the expense of audio quality.

Wired will give you better sound with the inconvenience of having to 'run' and possibly hide the wires.

btw - lots of people (majority?) pick convenience over quality. You have to decide what you want/need more.

Re Wattage, a bigger number per se does not necessarily mean a better or even a more powerful amp. Watts can be expressed as peak, avg or rms. Further they can be 'all channels driven' or not. The rated power is specified for a load - power into 8 ohms or 4 ohms, etc. Then there's Harmonic distortion - a high value means high distortion. Some manufacturers rate their power at higher distortion levels (so high watts but bad performance).

Finally, there's speaker efficiency. More efficient speakers require less power to generate the same sound pressure level as compared to less efficient speakers.

It's a whole subject (and lots of fun - if you're so inclined).

If you get a chance to listen to the 2 setups and really crank them up you'd probably be surprised at the results. The higher watts mean very little on their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Learning more...

Anybody have any idea where I can learn more about speaker capabilties so that I can better arm myself for a purchase.

I prefer quality over volume as I will be in a condo for now, but it would be nice to get a good Amp/Receiver now and good quality (maybe not so loud) speakers.

·
Super Moderator
56,881 Posts
If you can find a way to run speaker wire - the only way to get quality - then forget about wireless speakers. You're only trading speaker wire for power cord(s) anyway...

·
Registered
23 Posts
wireless power cords vs wired speakers

57:
I am facing the same decision as the original post. But, in my room I have many (5) power outlets spread well around the room.
- Hence I believe it would be extremely easy and convenient to stick wireless speakers where I want them and just run their power to the nearest outlet
- and there would be no speaker wires going back to the main JDTV/source area.

Is that right, or am I missing something?

When you do a system with wired speakers (typically on main floor with a basement below)
- do you run wires along the wall bottoms (where walls join the floor carpets)
- or do you drill down through floor at TV/source and back up at target speaker location ?

This decision seems to significantly affect the choice and cost of a speaker system.

PS: for the remote speakers, how important is it for them to be above ground level (and how high), or are speakers on the floor "good-enough" (for non-audiophiles).

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the same problem in a concrete condo and also need to get the satellite signal from the dish into 3 other rooms. Once in the rooms, I can run wire.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
In my case, I went through the floor via the nearest cold air return, routed the wires along the unfinished basement ceiling, and back up via warm air grills near the speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts