Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a TV antenna in the attic of my condo but I'm not sure how I can get the signal to my TV without having to pull new coax wires which I can not do. Is there anyway the receive the antenna signal and then send it wirelessly down to my TV? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
This has been discussed in other threads, so search for it.
It might be possible by using an HDHomeRun digital tuner and a wireless router, but if you can't pull a coax cable up into the attic, how are you going to power the router and the tuner?

If you're talking about an attic, I assume you're in a condo townhouse. Can't you just pass the coax through the attic hatch?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
An HDHomeRun digital tuner and wireless or Powerline access point might be the best option. It should be possible to get power from an inside receptacle or ceiling fixture to add an attic outlet. Make sure the outlet is done to professional standards by an electrician. It's unsafe and illegal to run extension cords through building materials and insulation.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd be a bit cautious about putting a router and hdhomerun up in the attic with fear of the extreme temperature extremities. You could buy an out door router, which may (or may not) be able to withstand these extremities better (would have to look at the datasheet/specifications), but I think the hdhomerun, being a commercial product has a very limited operating temperature range.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If you're so determined, it wouldnt be hard to put the equipment in an insulated box with a pipe or something connected to inside air (tap into a *cold air* duct or something if you have any running in the ceiling or wall there).
That way it can maintain house temp, but still be out of the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.