Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use Wireless AP with smartphones/etc

I just got the Optik wireless STB and wireless AP installed.

Can I use smartphones/etc with the wireless AP?

How do I access its SSID info to get the passkey?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
On my wireless router the key is on a tag on the bottom if you turn it upside down.

It also has a button to securely set up whatever you are connecting if that device is capable.

Not sure about your device.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts
Using the "button", also known as WPS, is a security risk and is not recommended by most people familiar with WiFi security issues. The WiFi SSID and password can be accessed by connecting to the router at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 using an internet browser. There is usually a default username and password to access the router. (These are usually easy to find out with an internet search or from the manual.) I strongly recommend that at least the password be changed. The WiFi SSID and password can then be set on the router. The matching WiFi SSID and password then needs to be entered into the WiFi setup on the phone. The SSID can be anything you like. Passwords should be at least 15 characters, or 6 words of at least 4 characters long, and also include at least one number and special punctuation character.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The Telus installer should have left a card with the SSID and password information with you when the installation was completed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the wireless access point is not meant for you to connect your wireless devices to it, it;s for the wireless set top box. the ssid and password can be found on the sticker on the back of the actiontec router.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts