Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bell 9241 and 6131.

None are connected to the internet as they are far away from where my router currently is.

I would like to be able to watch HD satellite TV in my bedroom but there are no wires passed through to the bedroom.

How can I achieve this? I have heard of Slingbox but after spending quite a bit of time on their website I could not figure out exactly what equipment I needed to buy in order to achieve what I wanted.

I also do not want to move the router so connectivity to my current receivers is an issue, unless I can do this wirelessly like I do with my Blu Ray player.

Can anybody shed some light on SLingbox or other methods to get HD quality television (Bell) to a room wirelessly?

I know Dish has come out with Sling enabled receivers, but currently Bell does not have this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
depending on how far away, you might be able to use an HDMI wireless extender, which is not cheap but could do what you want. RocketFish is one of the few brands making this.

Slingbox itself is not wireless, so the source side still needs a network connection. You could put a WiFi AP to the Slingbox to make it "wireless" (that is how I do it), but you need to be familiar of setting up an AP etc.

You still need a "receive" side to play the Sling'ed stream, which is a computer (as the Sling Catcher is not HD), and the quality is going to be worse than the source as Sling compresses the material, but they still call it HD (w/ a grain of salt).

I don't think where the router is is the most critical thing. You should try the general AV forum here to get more answers. But if I were you, I"d try the HDMI wireless extender first.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Extending Internet connection through house

I am not sure how you planned to use the internet with your TV viewing but I have my Internet router in the basement and wanted to stream video from my server to my Xbox on the main floor not using wireless (it worked with wireless but not well enough for HD stream).

I got a: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=861

WD Livewire
Powerline AV Network Kit
Ethernet, HomePlug AV

Extends the Internet to your HDTV.

It works well for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought of Ethernet over Powerline like the post above suggested, but the OP specifically said "wireless" (instead of simply "remote"), and thus I omit that option on my post.

Ethernet over Powerline is by nature not wireless because one has to plug it into a live wall AC jack (not only that, but both ends have to be within the household AC circuit to work).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Slingbox also makes an ethernet through powerline kit which might ideal here.

You'd need a slingbox pro-hd (the other ones can INPUT hd but cannot output it) and also a method of playing it back on the tv.

There is a discontinued product called Slingcatcher which you can only find on the usual places. This is just a small set top box with hdmi out, etc. and a remote.

There is a new product coming out from Sling, it's like the slingcatcher but from what I can discern it's only meant to be used on a local area network. Which is fine for you case. The downside, I think it's a product that will only be sold through Dish Network and might be as hard to come by as the slingcatcher is.

Barring either of those, you could consider an HTPC and use that instead of a slingcatcher, but if you technical know how is not above average then this option might be a little cumbersome for you.

Slingbox is very easy to set up and use and this sounds like a good application of it. Plus, you get the added benefit of having it available when you travel and in bed.

When we bought our new house we decided to forgo putting a 32" in our bedroom as the missus usually falls asleep immediately and while I like to watch some TV, I'm not long behind her. I just pull up the slingbox attached to our 9242 on my iPhone and pass out. :)

They're very handy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see that Rocketfish has a reach of about 35 feet. Does anyone know if it actually works with a Bell or Dish remote, and if the signal will go through walls, or does it need line of site to the original receiver?

At 299$, this may be the solution I am looking for.

Unfortunately, there is not much info available on line. Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I will.

Does anyone know if the signal reach needs line of sight or if it can actually go through walls?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Again, if you use the SlingLink, that is merely an repackaged Ethernet over Powerline, and again, makes it "non wireless" doesn't it?

5.8GHz is not very good with walls, you might not be able to get a stable signal so the best thing is to buy from a place where you can return it if it doesn't work out. Consider it line of sight product but lucky if you get it through some walls. There are ways to improve it but it is usually more than the technical level for most consumers.

The Bell 9241 / 9242 comes with 2 remotes where one of them is an RF remote and works on the UHF frequency. It should be able to work a few rooms away, and if marginal, it is easy to enhance the receiving antenna on the back of the unit to a better one. Therefore, you don't need the video extender to extend your video.

For the 6131 (or 6141), the remote is infrared only, so you will need an infrared extender but I'm not sure if the Rocketfish video extender comes with that function or not. I know some 2.4GHz analog video extender comes with that function, like from Philips, Radio Shack, or there are some stand alone infrared extender like from RCA (which I own) etc. I'm not sure what frequency they work on, probably 49MHz, and should cover a few rooms and again, not too difficult to extend the antenna for better reception if that is the problem.

I really hesitate to mention the Slingbox as a solution because of a few things: network and set up complexity and possible problems; video quality; remote lagging, and video lagging. Don't get me wrong, I own 2 Slingboxes, 1 Sling Catcher, (used to own 1 pair of SlingLink until sold to a friend), used Sling Players on iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Windows. I am more than familiar with this product, but this is probably not what the OP is thinking about or asking for.

One day, there might be Video Over Powerline products coming out, I heard of some but cannot recommend them yet as they are too new.

One alternative method, which is illegal, so this is only for academic info purpose (don't try this at home), is to hook up a TV antenna to the RF modulator output on the 9241, and then try to receive the signal on a TV with another TV antenna. You should be living outside of urban area, and select the channels very carefully so you won't be interfering any other things. I read about it from one old post. Only the 924x models have UHF modulators, the 6131 only has the traditional VHF channel 3 / 4 modulators and thus would require too big an antenna (plus even more illegal?!?). Many UHF channels are unused in Off The Air.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update on this. I know there is a lot of talk about Sling capabilities at Dish Network, but this seemed to be a long way from becoming a reality for Bell TV.

I wanted a way to get Bell HD TV in my bedroom without passing any wiring through the walls.

Well I found the solution.

Brite-View HD Air Sync BV 2322.

It transmits the HD signal from my 6131 in the living room to my bedroom HDTV.

200 bucks from the US, no tax no duties. Took about 8 working days to ship.

I literally opened up the box and had Bell TV HD in my bedroom without having to buy an additional Bell receiver or pass any wiring thorugh the walls in about 10 minutes.

HD quality was fantastic, and I had no issues with the transmission going through walls or floors.

Apparently this thing can go to 100 feet with Line of sight or 30 feet without line of sight. The transmitter and receiver boxes are about 1/3 the size of a 6131. I can even access the external hard drive attached to my 6131 in the livingroom from my bedroom with the brite-view.

Since Fibe TV is not yet availble in my area, and Sling seems to be impossible for HD television at Bell for the moment, this seems to be an inexpensive solution to setting up HDTV in a room where no sat wiring exists.

Can't post the website but if you google brite-view Air Sync HD you will easily find it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Thanks for that, it might be just what some of my Customers are looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts