Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a D-link router, WBR-2310, about 3-4 years old. Computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525, same age.

Over the past couple months, have had the problem of the connection dropping out at least once a day. It cannot be restored by disconnecting/reconnecting the connection, only by restarting the computer.

The connection can also be restored if an ethernet cable is used to plug directly into an output on the router.

Any ideas? Does it sound like the router might be the problem?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had been having trouble with a Dlink DI-624 dropping WiFi with WPA2 enabled. And the only resolution was putting the computers back to sleep or power cycling the router.

I resolved it when I realized the router had the wrong time/date (Something in 2002). After setting the NTP server for auto syncing the time, I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried changing it in the tools area and setting it to ntp1.dlink.com, but it doesn't seem to want to save the setting and the time stays at 2002.

Tried it manually as well (on the same page) but the bolded time doesn't change

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried again, now it's showing time of 2008 and when I try to save settings it says "This feature has been disabled on this emulator".

·
Registered
846 Posts
If resetting the router doesn't help the problem, but restarting the computer does, it sounds like the issue is with your computer - specifically with the wireless connection, as it works when you use the ethernet card. What wireless card do you have in the Dell? Have you kept the computer up to date with Dell upgrades for the BIOS, and drivers for the hardware components?

You can get the latest software downloads for your machine from Dell's support site - just enter your notebook's service tag number. If you continue to have problems, ensure the router has the latest firmware from DLINK as well before going further.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Dropped connections are a common complaint. If you search the forum, you'll find others with the same problem and you can see how they fixed it.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I would start by resetting the router to factory defaults and reconfiguring it. The reset is usually accomplished with a hidden switch and power cycling. It may need a firmware update as well. Reset before and after updating. Check the D-Link site for firmware updates and instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments so far.

I tried setting the router to default settings, reloading the most recent firmware and now changing the time as first suggested (tried doing it without being connected via ethernet before, that's why it didn't work).

The computer should be as updated as possible, but if this doesn't do it, that'll be the next route I try.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts