Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to increase the range of my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. I bought a USB extension cable (16') to plug in the receiving end of the wireless. It does a terrific job of extending the range. However, when the PC goes into sleep mode, I can't get it to "wake up" with the keyboard or mouse anymore. I'm sure it has something to do with the extension cable. I had no issues prior to adding the cable. Anyone had a similar experience?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Since the extension cable is working in regular mode, I recommend testing the wake up feature without the extension cable.

This is just to be sure its not because of a change in the system that may have occurred since you got the cable.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
16' is close to the maximum length for USB. You could try an active USB cable, also known as a USB repeater cable or USB extender. If you cannot find one locally, there are lots online. Prices vary wildly but they can be purchased for as little as US$8. Try searching for "16FT 5M USB 2.0 A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater."

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry - USB Repeater is what I have. Putting the wireless "stick" back into the PC's USB port corrects the wake up issue. So it is the cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts