Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to feed a wireless signal to a couple of in ceiling speakers.

Years ago I had receiver in a corner of my family room on the main floor and, at that time, I built out my basement and installed an in-wall jack in the family room to connect RCA stereo signals into it from that receiver and feed a couple of speakers in the basement ceiling. That worked well until I changed things around in the family room and got an A/V receiver several years ago. The A/V receiver is located across the room and I'd prefer not to run speaker wire from the A/V receiver's location to the in-wall jack. I also have a wireless transmitter connected to the A/V receiver which feeds a pair of outdoor speakers which I use in the backyard by the pool in the simmer time.

What I would like to do is buy or make a device that will receive the wireless signal from the transmitter and will plug into the in-wall jack in the family room to feed the signal to the in-ceiling speakers in the basement.

Does anyone know if such a device exists and where, or can anyone provide some information on how to build one?

TIA,

quickcurrent

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
No idea why you would post in the OTA forum but I have moved your post to this forum.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have a Rocketfish wireless speaker set up and the "receiver" unit just has speaker wire jacks at the back that connect directly to my L/R rear speakers. Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but it seems to me you could just mount the wireless receiver unit beside the in-wall RCA jacks and connect the jacks to the receiver unit or just pop the in-wall RCA jacks and connect the in-wall speaker wire directly to the receiver unit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmm, I have Acoustic Research speakers. The receiver units are built in the speakers and the only jacks are for AC power (to charge the batteries or run off AC).

I wonder if I can buy a Rocketfish receiver unit alone and if that would work since both systems are 2.4 Gh frequency!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked out the Rocketfish unit and am not impressed. I read too many bad reviews and the unit has a low power output! It does have the features I am looking for, though - amplifier, 4-8 Ohm outputs for two speakers and a volume control. I don't know if this unit works with my Acoustic Research transmitter, even though they are both 2.4 GHz!

Then I checked out what AR has to offer and it looks like they only have a system that requires both a transmitter plus a receiver for each speaker in order to have a volume control for the speakers (the volume control is on the transmitter)!

The system I have now consists of a simple transmitter connected to an output on the A/V receiver that is not affected by the A/V receiver's volume control, then the outdoor speakers are amplified and each has a volume control. What I want to do is keep the existing transmitter and find a unit with the features that the Rocketfish unit offers that will work well with my AR system and has good reviews (similar to the AR system I have now).

If you find that the Rocketfish unit reviews I read are not warranted, taxtwit, I'd look into it further, i.e. try to figure out if it will work with any 2.4 GHz transmitter. But I'm still looking at a fairly low power output, so I don't know if that will drive my in-ceiling speakers adequately.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Also note - be careful with mixing your gHz around the house.

Bought a new cordless phone, and had to return it as it was interrupting the connection between my wireless router and my laptop.

Generally speaking, unless you have no option, I'd avoid wireless speakers. With any sort of wireless technology, there is always an opportunity for intereference to degrade your signal, especially when using frequency bands that are shared with other common consumer products. I had wireless surrounds once (old Sony IR driven ones) and hated how "vulnerable" it made the sound.

YMMV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 5.8 GHz wireless phones so they don't interfere with my 2.4 GHz wireless computer network. The computer network and the wireless speakers I use in the summertime have not been a problem, I suppose because they are on different channels. The Acoustic Research wireless speakers I have work really well, they were rated the best when I got them, it's a shame they stopped making them!

For my in-ceiling speakers, I will run some speaker wire to the wall plate the next time I paint the room. I did that for my rear 5.1 speakers the last time I painted, but didn't think of doing the in-ceiling ones (which have not been used in years). I just thought there might be a way to do them wirelessly since I have the wireless transmitter going all the time. Running wire means cutting holes in the walls and then patching them up, so it'll have to wait until I paint the room again. I just have not found anything that I like for this application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts