Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having an issue where my desktop PC will lose its internet connection. The network icon on my task bar will get the little yellow triangle alert and state no internet connection. I still have my network and I still have my wireless that works. Until I reboot my PC the internet will not come back.
My LAN is built into my ASUS motherboard (sorry no model number atm) but its just over 1 year old.
The network card on the mobo comes up as a realtek PCIe GBE family controller. Latest driver updated 7.23

Is my LAN port on my mobo going or would this be a windows/software issue
Running win 7 64bit pro
No new software or hardware changes made

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Does a reboot fix the connection every time? I would think that would point to a software issue.

Hardware wise, the ports on your mobo or router (I'm down to three on my five port router/VPN) could be faulty. Have you tried using different ports on both ends?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not tried different ports. Yes a reboot fixes it each time.
There is also no consistency to its stopping. Just while browsing the web it will conk out.

I just had a thought. Next time I am going to try and see if I can reset it with an ip release / ip renew from the command prompt.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't think it's your desktop at all. I would look to your router and/or modem for the problem, solely based upon just your internet going down. Could be cable/port rot/firmware.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
When it stops working, is it just web access? Can you check email?

The fact that wireless works certainly points to a hardware issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Make sure to check your power settings. Disable Windows from being able to turn off the network card to save power. (Just a thought)

Next time it happens, right click on the network icon and run the troubleshooter, if it discovers the problem, it will let you know what was wrong.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it goes down the internet and email are unavailable. Though I can still access the other computer on my network which is a wireless laptop. The laptop will still have working internet through wifi.
I had disabled the sleep function on the network card to see if that fixes things.

If it was Telus or my router or modem wouldn't that affect the internet on my laptop as well?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Though I can still access the other computer on my network which is a wireless laptop.
So to clarify, when it goes down, you still have access to other devices on your home network (which suggests your computer is still communicating with the router), just no internet connection and rebooting is the only way to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Lots of Windows 7 issues with internet access. Try some easy things first:

- disable any firewalls you have installed
- delete the ethernet controller from the device manager, and let Windows reinstall after a reboot
- are you using static IP? any chance of a conflict with another device on your network?
- if you are not using static IP, try that
- disable Bonjour service in services (causes problems for some people)
- 'netsh winsock reset' (reboot required)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is correct Hugh
Though I am still waiting for the next time for it to happen since I turned off the sleep function / power save function on the device.
I am also going to try the ip renew through the command prompt if it happens again as that will be easier then rebooting.
Since its so sporadic I am just waiting for it to happen again.

Larry, thanks for the tips I will look into those.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it happend again, so sleep/power save off did nothing and IP renew / release through comand prompt did nothing iether. So it was reboot again.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Cheap / easy possible fix (if you haven't tried yet)... use a new/different ethernet cable to see if that helps.

Also, when the connection goes does do your switch and LAN card still have their connection lights on the ports?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Does the alert say no Internet connection or limited Internet connection? When you lose connectivity does your PC retain its DHCP assigned IP address?

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
^^^^
A computer will retain a DHCP address until the lease expires, regardless of whether the DHCP server is available or not. So, you could completely remove the router and devices could still communicate via IP, until the leases start expiring. In normal operation, the computer would renew the address part way through the lease time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Random shot, but do you have any Adobe products installed? If so, which one(s)?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
A computer will retain a DHCP address until the lease expires, regardless of whether the DHCP server is available or not.
I agree but something is triggering the Windows alert to come up. If the IP address stays as is then there may be a communication issue between the PC and the router. If it gets set to 0.0.0.0 then the router may be sending corrupt data to the PC.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
new wire changed nothing. Also the lights do stay on the modem and the router. The network icon says no internet access.
I do have adobe products installed. Adobe CS 4 and Adobe Acrobat 9 pro

I'm thinking I should call Telus and see if the modem is due for a replacement.
Next time it goes out I will check IP info.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rebooting the modem does bring it back combined with a trouble shoot network connection. I have called Telus and they are sending me a new modem.
If the problem continues I will buy a new router as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts