Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched today from Shaw to MTS, and wanted the salesperson to indicate that when they told Shaw that I was switching services to indicate that I was doing so because Shaw introduced UBB.

The salesperson told me that MTS will probably be adding in billing when going over their cap. Thats the first indication (that I've seen anyways) that MTS will be moving towards charging for going over the cap.

I'm not surprised, but, too bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Shaw's been using that line for years.

Now that the Usage Based Billing ruling was squashed by the feds, I think MTS will likely keep things status quo...aka no caps/

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
MTS has had a "soft cap" of 60GB for about 2 years.

I average about 90GB a month.

I've never been charged.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you keep track of your own data usage, or is it something that you can get from MTS?

I remember that they used to have a bandwidth meter, but it was removed many years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@sk1d

I read that before which is why I was a bit surprised to hear the salesperson say that they will probably be charging soon.

Now, to be fair, its a salesperson, reacting to me saying I was cancelling Shaw because of their charges, so, it could just be BS; but, its the first time I've heard it...

I'm still switching, since I'd rather be with a company that isn't charging (yet?), than be with one that already is.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well technically shaw isn't charging yet AFAIK. The best info gleaned from the various threads and posted by shaw employees seems to be that the warnings will start in March for 2 mos and then overage charges will appear on the May bill and after if warranted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
@ doglips

Shaw has committed to charging and laid out exactly when and how much. MTS has not committed to anything. In Winnipeg, I'm sure Shaw and MTS have 95% or more of the market. They can ether continue to not charge and pick up a few customers, or charge and make some extra money off of their existing customers.

@ dslack

The Shaw rep is paid to keep you a customer. Obviously Shaw doesn't care how he does it so he takes whatever means he can to do his job. This is going to end up just as bad as the cell phone companies who lie to your face about their service and their competitors just to get you to sign up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
@ doglips

Shaw has committed to charging and laid out exactly when and how much. MTS has not committed to anything. In Winnipeg, I'm sure Shaw and MTS have 95% or more of the market. They can ether continue to not charge and pick up a few customers, or charge and make some extra money off of their existing customers.
Who's "they"? We both agree shaw is going to be charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@sk1d

Just to clarify, I was talking about the MTS salesperson. MTS cancels my Shaw stuff now, and so I just wanted them to tell Shaw when they cancelled for me that I was doing it for the charging. So it was a bit more "from a horses mouth", so to speak.

Anyways, we'll see how it all shakes out over the coming months - I kind of hope MTS sees this as an opportunity to steal some customers from Shaw. I have some friends that easily go over their cap that were completely oblivious to this, and are considering switching. And if MTS keeps gaining customers, then maybe they'll keep the UBB out of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
MTS had no plans to charge UBB in 2011

Just got this from the horse's mouth.

In response to a question about UBB from an investment analyst, the president of MTS said that the data usage figures were guidelines, they don't charge for overages and didn't have any plans to charge for overages in 2011. So all of the uncertainty about UBB would not result in a decrease in MTS' revenues.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Official MTS Policy

I was looking at the MTS site for something else and noticed this new policy. Here is the link and the path:

Personal > Support > Internet > High Speed Internet > Setup and Connecting to the Internet >

What is MTS Doing About Internet Usage Based Billing?

MTS currently does not charge our customers for Internet data usage overages, but we are looking into it. We reserve the right to monitor and notify customers who exceed the data usage included with their plan, or require them to upgrade to a plan that includes more data. In the event that a customer continues to consistently exceed their data usage amounts, despite being notified of this usage, we reserve the right to terminate their service.

Before we implement data usage charges, we will notify our customers of the coming change and provide them with the tools necessary to understand the amount of data they use each month.

Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have any tools for individual customers to check how much data they use each month.

We have included data usage amounts with each of our plans that should provide ample data usage for our customers.
Current amount of data usage included in our Consumer High Speed Plans
Code:
[B]Internet Plan      	Data Usage Included[/B]
MTS High Speed Light           	15GB
MTS High Speed Lightning	60GB
MTS High Speed Lightning Max	100GB
MTS Super MAX           	175GB
MTS Bolt                     	175GB
Current amount of data usage included in our Business High Speed Plans
Code:
[B]Internet Plan      	Data Usage Included[/B]
Entrepreneur Business HSI	80GB
Entrepreneur Mach 1     	120GB
Entrepreneur Mach 2     	180GB
Entrepreneur Mach 3     	220 GB
Professional Business HSI	100 GB
Network HSI                	100 GB

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I wonder how using their Ultimate TV service affects bandwidth usage with MTS? I might just need to leave my HDTV running 24/7 now, just to see...

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Ultimate TV isn't counted as internet usage since it doesn't go over the internet. It goes straight from the MTS head-end to your home.

·
Registered
492 Posts
was with them for over a year.. (on a Promo deal)

they never charged me for extra bandwidth.. (they CSRs ever told me so.. before i subscribed with them.. and during my time with them.. that they don't limit it)

Their web site, i think, mentions bandwidth limit somewhere .. but as stated above .. it's kinda "soft"

to my best knowledge .. - to-date .. they never implemented it ...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ultimate TV isn't counted as internet usage since it doesn't go over the internet. It goes straight from the MTS head-end to your home.
But I would assume it is still "bandwidth" - I know they don't and wouldn't count it as such, but wouldn't watching 24 hours of TV pretty much be the same as running torrents for the same amount of time, as far as the network is concerned?

·
Registered
27 Posts
But I would assume it is still "bandwidth" - I know they don't and wouldn't count it as such, but wouldn't watching 24 hours of TV pretty much be the same as running torrents for the same amount of time, as far as the network is concerned?
Your torrents have to connect to servers all over the world, while the tv connection is local.

I just wonder how you could keep the numbers separate, though.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
@Mozza, your dedicated phone line either connects to your central office or to a fibre-optic node depending on distance. It isn't shared with anyone and doesn't have any impact on anyone else. The fibre-optic network from the node to the local head-end was sized and built to accommodate the video traffic and those costs are included in the calculation of your TV bill.

Once the traffic is routed to the internet then it would be counted as bandwidth. MTS could collect traffic stats at this point.

MTS is responsible for building the fibre-optic network across Canada and to the U.S. peering points (such as Chicago) to deliver the volume of internet traffic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts