Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hNW_EvCy9yASFq1f0EBBWslWUxbA

WINNIPEG — The city of Winnipeg is getting ready for its next close-up.

The Manitoba capital is being featured on an upcoming episode of the television show "The Office" when Steve Carell's cringe-inducing turn as boss Michael Scott, and a few of his underlings, visit on a business trip.

Writers for the show - about the fictional paper firm Dunder Mifflin set in Scranton, Penn. - said they chose Winnipeg because it struck the right balance "between exotic and obscure."

Thankfully for Winnipeggers tired of being the butt of jokes about the cold climate, the show didn't have the budget to splurge for mountains of fake snow, let alone film on location. Instead, the episode's Winnipeg scenes are set at the city's airport, a hotel and a bar - all filmed in Los Angeles with plenty of props.
My only direct exposure with Winnipeg was a week-long work-related trip a little over a year ago, so I'm definitely curious to see what the show's take on the city will be. :)

It's just too bad they didn't have the budget for an on-location shoot.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I've always had a wish that The Simpsons would have an episode in Winnipeg relating to a massive spill of Duff Beer into Duff's Ditch, with Homer and Barney sent to clean it up. :D

The Office will do. Maybe they'll bump into the guy from the Goodyear Tire commercial on the airliner who discovers he's not going to Hawaii, he's "goin' ta Winnipeg!"

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Reminds me of a joke years ago on the Smothers Brothers show (think Vietnam era)...

First Mrs. White's son was called up by the draft.

Then Mrs. Green's son was called up by the draft.

Then Mrs. Brown's son was called up by the draft.

Now, all 3 of them get together every week and compare letters from their sons. The letters are all from faraway places with strange-sounding names... Toronto... Winnipeg,.. Vancouver.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The props sent down to LA for the shoot were bags of Old Dutch potato chips, bottles of Fort Garry Beer, and Winnipeg airport tags

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also, the actress playing the hotel clerk is supposed to have a "winnipeg accent", even though she's never heard one bfore. I wonder what they're going to do. I hope its not a "fargo" accent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts