Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this antenna in order to compare its performance against my other antennas.

I got to thinking that since I do not have any VHF Lo signals within eyeshot, that perhaps it is possible to remove the rear elements for VHF Lo in order to make the antenna lighter.

If I decide to do this, how do I determine which elements are for Channels 2 through 6 and can be removed?

Another thought crossed my mind. Since I have a VHF Hi channel in this area though at a fringe distance, would it be possible to reduce the size of the VHF Lo elements so that they will help increase the gain either on a specific channel such as 7 or over the entire range of VHF Hi channels?

What do the experts think?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather find out whether or not anyone has hacked this antenna in the manner described to find out how well it works.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The VHF-lo elements will be the longer ones near the back of the antenna. I would not try to hack the antenna. Doing so could have unpredictable results. It should be possible to model the changes with software before actually making them. The best bet may be to obtain a VHF-hi/UHF only antenna and sell the Winegard HD7084P.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
did that

I removed 4 longer ones at the back of the antenna, on an old VHF-UHF-FM Radio Shack antenna bought 10 years ago....( for the cottage )
and it worked better for my FM reception, changed nothing for VHF-high, not much for VHF-Lo, as channels 2 and 6 ( Montreal - 70 Km away ) still coming as strong as before...

If you remove elements, don't broke anything, in case you want to put them back :rolleyes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^Thanks for the note about your experience with this Mille.

Scarybob.I am not about to get rid of the antenna. It has better gain on VHF than the YA 1713 and the gain on the low end of the UHF band is also better than any other antenna I own including the 91XG. I am simply wondering if there will be improved performance on VHF Hi if I remove the VHF Lo elements.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Does anyone have a NEC file for it to see how it would model without the VHF-LO elements? Even a model of a generic or common VHF-LO/FM/VHF-HI antenna having its VHF-LO elements removed would give an excellent prediction of what to expect.

Billiam, I am firmly in the "leave it as it is" camp, even though you are wanting to lower the weight of the antenna. You asked for opinions and you are getting them. :)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I removed 4 longer ones at the back of the antenna, on an old VHF-UHF-FM Radio Shack antenna bought 10 years ago....( for the cottage )
Ive modeled the Radio Shack VU series with the vhf-low elements removed and boom chopped, and it works fine for vhf-hi. No difference in vhf-hi gain, so if you have a RS VU series and no more vhf-low channels, chop away.

However, I would be very leary of chopping the Winegard HD7084P because it has those short elements under the long elements, which may be for vhf-hi gain.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the additional and thought out replies. 300ohm has a lot of background with home brew antennas and I trust his judgment. I'll leave it as is given the unique design of the antenna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts