Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow Linux users!
With the last update on March 26th, the new 6.5 version came out, and now I can't run my software with Wine (Solidworks, Artec Studio, etc). I get an error message when the application starts up. I am not an expert in Linux and Wine, my common sense tells me 3 ways to fix this problem. The first is to roll back the update and I will probably not be able to do that. If I could find a detailed guide on how to do this, I might try it. The second way is to reinstall the system, but that would take a lot of time and effort for me. The third way is to try replacing Wine with alternative software, maybe that would work. I found CrossOver app, but it's commercialized, unfortunately, maybe someone can recommend free software.
Sorry, I am not a pro in these things, really hoping for your help.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Can the Wine settings be saved? If so do so now.

Is there a restore point or system image available? (It's always a good idea to make scheduled daily backups and to make an extra one before any major software update. I would make one before attempting a recovery in case things get really messes up.)

Next I would try obtaining the previous version of Wine and try installing it in parallel (if possible) or over the update. It's a long shot but may work. Some programs retain their setting after being uninstalled. That would allow the current version of Wine to be uninstalled and an older version to be installed.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
You have not presented any information whatsoever about your problem. So I would argue that it is generally considered bad advice to tell somebody to do something, especially a new user without further details to analyze the situtation... No one even knows what operating system your using for example. I personally would seek the people supporting the Linux distribution that you have installed on your system for help. Whatever it is, they have probably "been there, done that", and may already be asked and answered.

Some questions they may ask. What linux distribution are you using? What architecture is the program your having an issue with designed for? (eg - x32, x86_64, winxp, Win7, Win10 so on). Exactly what redistributable libraries come with your problematic program when it is installed natively on WIndows? How exactly did you update Wine? Have you updated to the latest and greatest version of the distro?

Having said that...My experience below is from an Arch Linux user perspective, since that is the operating system I use here. It's a rolling distribution. Meaning there is never a reason to install a new distribution version from scratch. It is periodically updating all the installed package versions, keeping the entire system up to date, all the time. Including wine.

I have never had to uninstall a previous wine version, ever. I always go forward, not backwards...
But most likely whatever hoops ya had to jump through with the previous version to get your windows program to run, you'll have to jump through again when you update wine.

In my experience every time wine is updated, the first time ya run whatever windows programs ya had previously configured, if you had to install some re-distrubutable libraries in order to get your program running under wine, it is possible to have to reinstall them again, the first time thru, when opening the wine based windows program again. Actually Microsoft .NET framework is the only one like that, every single time, for me. It will bark at you and present a dialog to do so automatically. Once that is finished your all set, try your program again.

Do you have 'winetricks' installed also? (I think it is managing this for me).
I think 'winetricks' is designed to manage all the re-distributable libraries, and allows you to manage / switch the wineprefix between different architecture, windows versions, so on. Might help.
versions installed locally here on my end.
Code:
wine --version
wine-6.4

winetricks --version
20210206 - sha256sum: fca9fc58fa48951cecf67b8d42aa6b947f90307a08415d9403d2b8913e03a1d7

1 - 3 of 3 Posts