·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He explains in the article. I disagree completely but they have rationalized it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Except that phones like the Blackberry and iPhone also feature intelligent links to often used features, yet they do not limit your ability to cut and paste.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Brix said many times when a user copies something on a phone, what they really are looking to do is take a specific action, such as calling a phone number or e-mailing an address.
Has this guy ever used a smartphone?? What if I'm on DigitalHome and want to quote a portion of someone's post? This is just one of several examples I can think of that would benefit from copy & paste. Since getting copy & paste on my iPhone, I've used the feature extensively, but not once can I remember using it to copy a phone number or address.

I wonder if Office 2010 will eliminate copy & paste so that my actions can be "anticipated", as Brix puts it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well in fairness to Microsoft I've had an Android phone for almost a year now and can't say I have ever used the copy/paste feature it has when dealing with text. Let's face it, these phones aren't built for writing the sequel to War and Peace. How many people use copy and paste on the iPhone? Yes people clamored for it and Apple acquiesced but I wonder how many people actually use it on a regular basis.

A far more interesting topic with regards to Windows Mobile 7 is Microsoft's wholesale adoption of the iPhone with a locked down user interface, specific hardware requirements, no multitasking and applications that can only be installed through the market. It's somewhat ironic that Android could be considered the new WM in that it is very open and runs on a wide range of hardware just like pre-WM 7 did. It will be very interesting to see which way the market goes on this one.

One other point of interest about WM 7 is that it uses C# for development rather then C++, this should help it a lot with respect to building a healthy portfolio of applications prior to launch at the end of the year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes I read your post, however just because you use it extensively doesn't mean others do as well. My wife has an iPhone and never uses this feature for example and most others I have asked about it don't use it as well.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
just because you use it extensively doesn't mean others do as well.
There was a backlash towards Apple for a reason: people use it. If Apple doesn't include it in their next generation of iPhone, one can expect another backlash.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes there was a backlash against Apple but the point is I seriously doubt copy and paste is very widely used on the iPhone hence why MS made the decision they did. I'm sure power users like yourself would miss it but I very much doubt the average joe-shmoe uses it much if at all. I've had touch based smartphones for many years and count on one hand the number of times I've had to copy and paste.

Admittedly this is a gut feel but I'm sure MS has more quantitative stats on the subject otherwise they wouldn't have made the decision they did.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gnunn, the reality is that I seldom use cut and paste on my iPhone and, for me, its not a must have feature BUT all things being equal, I would never remove such a common feature that clearly some people feel the need for.

As noted, the backlash against Apple was pretty significant and I would think that MS would be in tune with that so even if they thought it was dumb, leave it in!

·
Registered
626 Posts
The problem is Microsoft is where Apple was 3 years ago. They're delivering a new operating system re-written from the ground up and they have a choice to make. They can either delay the release and give people everything they want or they can deliver what they have now and add in more features later.

The ironic thing here is that Microsoft and their apologists are using the same excuses Apple did 3 years ago. So, in a sense, Microsoft is copying Apple...AGAIN!

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
It definitely seems Microsoft is copying Apple - closed platform, no cut & paste, limited multitasking, etc.

I'm not liking Windows Mobile 7 from what I am seeing, and I hope my Omnia II lasts a very long time.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It definitely seems Microsoft is copying Apple - closed platform, no cut & paste, limited multitasking, etc.

I'm not liking Windows Mobile 7 from what I am seeing, and I hope my Omnia II lasts a very long time.
Except Apple now has cut-and-paste and has announced multitasking in the next OS due this summer.

..and it's no wonder that MS is copying Apple, given 10% of MS employees are reported to be iPhone owners, they have a lot of experience with Apple!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
..and it's no wonder that MS is copying Apple, given 10% of MS employees are reported to be iPhone owners, they have a lot of experience with Apple!
I've always wondered how many Apple employees use a Microsoft product (whether it be an OS, word processor/office suite or hardware) at home...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I doubt too many actually. I've worked with many actual MS employees over the years and they always have the latest and greatest (pre-release) software for both their business and home/personal use. I'd suspect that most of them are using Windows products at home - for the most part they're very enthusiastic about their own products.

The phone is a different category I think where the iPhone is in many ways leaps and bounds ahead of WM6. And like it or not, a social status or cultural thing.

If 10% of MS employees are using iPhones, I doubt that more than 1% are using an Apple computer at home.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i use copy and paste often enough that i would miss it if it was gone. I use it on my diamond WM6.1/WM6.5.x

It comes in handy when im copying things from email to text to web ect ect...

Seems silly to remove such a basic function.. I mean why p-o people. No one will complain if its left in there but a hole bunch of people will complain if you remove it.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Seems silly to remove such a basic function.. I mean why p-o people. No one will complain if its left in there but a hole bunch of people will complain if you remove it.
TKG26: That's not the case at all.

I think this whole thing is being taken out of context. They didn't just remove it because they thought that would be a fun thing to do. They've re-written the OS from the ground up (as mentioned already) and they actually do think it will be part of Windows Phone 7 Series but *maybe* not by launch time or not in the full capacity by launch time.

Although everyone's debating the usefulness of it in this thread, I personally have not found a single person that I know personally who's actually used it on the iPhone. (My 2 cents on that)

And the story with background tasks is the same thing. It will be there to whatever degree that can provide by launch time.

Microsoft is very in tune with Apple and the history of the iPhone and what things people did and didn't like and they're not trying to repeat history unneccessarily. But the truth is ask any person what they thing of Microsoft OS's and most of them will talk about instability and crashes. So MS doesn't want to rush out any features (cut&paste or background tasks) too quickly and add unstability to the new OS. They're trying to correct their reputation, not further it.

Plus since they have tighter control of the devices and device specifications they'll be able to push out updates more rapidly. (Unlike WM which had like none.)

Research some of Paul Thourault's (or however the heck you spell his name) comments on this. He's got quite a close relationship with the developers and program managers as he's preparing his book on Windows Phone 7 Series for them for launch time.

The more accurate title of this thread would be: "Some features like cut&paste may or may not be fully implemented in the OS for the initial launch and may reach their full potentials with post launch updates".

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
you dont know anyone that has used copy and paste on there iphone? I know my wife uses it all the time on her 3GS.

i use that daily on my WM6.5.x phone. its invaluble.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts