Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
^^^ just to clarify i was not suggesting this was WM7. I realize its a ground up new OS... Thus the reason i said it was long overdue.. By the way WM i found to be quite nice once i started using custom ROMS. Seems like the rom developers had more vision then microsoft with that old platform.

Agreed Windows should have been dropped. Thats why the comparisons are still there..

Zune Phone might have been better..

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I've posted several optimistic and positive things about Windows Phone 7 in the past (regarding the tiles & hubs part of the UI). I also think I posted my top three suggestions to make Microsoft Windows Phone 7 more successful:

1. Drop the word "Windows"
  2. Drop the word "Phone"
  3. Drop the word "Microsoft"

I agree with TKG26, even using the Zune name would have been better. Some sort of unique abstract name like Zune that they could brand on this new OS would have been perfect. And really all of these devices are more like "portable personal internet and communication devices" than "phones". I don't think PPICD makes a good acronym but I'm sure some one more creative in that regards than myself (i.e. a marketing department) could come up with something catchy that conveys the same information.

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on a WP7. If there's some good deals at Christmas, I might bite and then just SIM switch back and forth (with my Android N1).

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
mPhone would be an obvious choice too :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
WM5.X and 6.X was based on the Windows CE code base which goes back about a dozen years. Windows Phone 7 is 100% completely different. Nobody should be comparing one to the other in any way. If you had a bad experience with WM, it is in no way an indicator on what you'll think of WP7. The only thing they in common is the word "Windows", which incidentally I thought MS should have replaced.
Not that it's a bad thing, but WP7 is still based on Windows CE, though I believe its a much newer version than WM6 was previously based on. I believe even Zune is based on some form of WinCE.

Either way though, they've done the right thing with WP7, a consistent, fluid and fast experience across all devices. Every WP7 device i've had a chance to play with has been great; really impressed with what they've done.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
^ Where are you getting that info from? My understanding was that there were no kernel components let alone UI from CE. It was a complete redesign from the ground up and hence no ability to run older WM apps even in some sort of "compatibility mode".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well here's why I'm looking at them. This comes across pro MS but I love linux/android for it's openess, and the iphone for basically inventing the modern smart phone.

Advantages over iOS:

I like the idea of silverlight and xna on the phone. I've used both of them a lot so thats personally my biggest draw. The developer support with MS is amazing, take a look at the profiler shown at the pdc keynote for example. It breaks down frame by frame what each call used on the cpu. That's going to allow for better performance and battery life. They have a learning package with demo applications written to show off ever new party of the API, that makes the learning curve pretty gentle.

iOS developer support is _brutal_.

I also like a lot of the design decisions. I like being able to look at the live tiles and be updated on what I need to know. Seeing things on the lock screen is nice. Being able to jump straight to the camera without really turning the phone on is nice.

The hubs are pretty cool, I like that 3rd party integration is supported on them. I'm hoping this will mean a wicked messaging app comes soon.

The hardware has more options then iOS as well. You can actually replace a battery. That said, the iphone 4.0 hardware is probably nicer than any model to date.

Advantages over android:

-Maybe a _little_ easier to develop for. Though I'd way rather do android than iOS.

-Less fragmented. This phone is going to be updated from Microsoft, not telus. There's no carrier or OEM requirements to push an update, so we shouldn't have to wait a few months for an update.

-Android tends to be sluggish, even 2.2 on newer hardware. Win7 seems much smoother.

-Netflix out of the box.

There's a ton of disadvantages as well, first one being it's called 'windows phone 7'. In my mind it's nothing like windows mobile 6.* though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking for an LG Optimus 7 which I'm going to unlock and use on the Bell network but they seem sold out everywhere in Edmonton. London Drugs, Best Buy and Future Shop seem like the best places to get one. One of the Future Shops in the south end said they might be getting some Thursday (tomorrow).

Anyone else have any success tracking one of these down?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my LG Optimus 7 monday. I loooove it so much till now. The only bad thing is the power button that is very small and also used to unlock the phone.

It works great out of the box. Configuring it with Windows is very easy, plug it and it offer you to download zune. Download it, install it, configure the phone and your done.

The keyboard works great, the screen respond great too! Facebook integration is very nice but lacks a couple of feature (like posting a youtube video and stuff like that).

Is there any advantage to unlock the phone except of being able to activate it to any carrier?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well I picked up my LG Optimus last night and I concur with Brainwasher it is a very responsive phone. The typing works well. I have big hands, but I am still able to type with only a few missteps. The power button is in a bit of an odd place. It makes it somewhat difficult trying to press it with one hand. The Bluetooth syncs very nicely with my F-150 and allows my truck to receive and send texts with no problems at all. It hooks up well with my wireless at home. I was able to update the phone contacts finally (see below) with all my contacts from work and various social network sites. I was able to integrate my Xbox account with no issues what so ever. Everything went very well.

All in all I really like the phone thus far.

One thing I'm having an issue with is trying to get all my Blackberry Tour contacts into my phone. Has anyone figured out how to do that yet? It's a bit of an odd duck for that.

Update: I was able to figure it out using a techinque another gentleman, Dr Tsaks, figure out a few years back on another site. I have cut and pasted his work around. I use Yahoo and Windows live account and they both worked. It took a while using Blackberry's newer desktop Manager, but it worked eventually.

My laptop Operating System my phone is tied to is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. My Blackberry phone I was wanting to pull my contacts from is a Blackberry 9630 Tour.

"
How to export Address Book from Blackberry to Windows Contacts in Vista... as per DrTsaks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I had a **** of a time trying to export my address book to my computer because I am running Vista, which does not have Outlook but instead "Windows Contacts," which Desktop Manager doesn't support. So here's how to do it. I'm not sure if this is the quickest way, but it doesn't take that long and is very easy to do:

Open up a Yahoo account if you don't already have one (it is free). Open up desktop manager, connect to your Blackberry and double click on "Synchronize." Go to the "Configuration" tab, and click on "Configure synch." Click on "Address Book" and then the "Choose" button. Select "Yahoo" and "Export," then back to the main Syncrhonize window. Click the "Syncrhonize" tab, make sure "Syncrhonize Organizer Data" is on, then press "Synchronize now." Now go to address. yahoo. com. In the upper right corner, click "Import/Export." Under Export, click the button next to "Microsoft Outlook," and save the file. Now open up Windows Contacts, click the "Import" button, choose "CSV (Comma Separated Values)," and click Import. Find the CSV file that you saved from Yahoo, and there ya go. You're all set."

Anyway here is the link to his post. http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/how-export-address-book-blackberry-windows-contacts-vista-10566/
I cut and pasted above as I wasn't sure if these type of links here are okay. Hope this helps anyone who didnt know about this.

If you have any questions about the phone and want to ask by all means ask away and I will try to answer them as best I can.

Haz

21 - 34 of 34 Posts