Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Telus will be offering two Windows Phone 7 smartphones on launch: the HTC 7 Surround and the LG Optimus 7.

No word on pricing or availability but likely around November 8th.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HTC Surround

Features include:
  • 3.6" touchscreen
  • 4.71" x 2.42" x 0.51"
  • 165g
  • 16GB internal storage
  • Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD 8250 1 GHz
  • Battery life:
  • WCDMA - Talk time: 250 min/Standby: 255 hrs
  • GSM - Talk time: 240 min/Standby: 255 hrs
  • 5MP camera + flash
  • 720p HD video
  • Slide out Yamaha speaker + SRS + Dolby surround sound
  • Kickstand

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LG Optimus 7

Features include:
  • 3.8" touchscreen
  • 125 mm x 59.8 mm x 11.5 mm
  • 157g
  • 16GB internal storage
  • Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD 8650 1 GHz
  • Battery life - Talk time: 8 hrs/Standby: 179 hrs
  • 5 mp camera / 720p HD video
  • Media Sharing (DLNA)
  • Augmented Reality
  • Speech to Text

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confirmed today. Onsale November 8th. $99 on 3 year term.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Windows Phone

Does anyone actually have a Windows Phone device in stock? What a pathetic launch. Telus actually manages to get some people lining up at a few of their stores and they have no inventory. In Toronto they were giving away Xboxes to the first 100 people to purchase a phone but they had no inventory.

If anyone knows where I can pick one up in Vancouver I'd love to hear about it. I've been by the Telus store on Seymour and Robson, FutureShop, and the store at Pacific Centre. Nobody seems to have any idea when they'll have the phones in stock.

I also tried the upgrade device option on the Telus Mobility site but it says upgrading from a world phone (I have a BlackBerry Storm) is not supported.

Maybe I'll give Telus a call. I thought it'd be simple enough to pick one up on launch day though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are some phones out there. In Calgary at Chinook Centre for instance, they have some HTC Surrounds, but no LG Optimus 7, which is what I'm looking to purchase. They're still waiting for the LG shipment. Thats the only place though that I've come across any Window 7 phones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm looking for the LG phone as well. If I see one in the wild I'll let you know. Although I guess it doesn't help that I'm in Vancouver. Hopefully by the end of the week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks marks, Likewise, if I come across something I'll pm you. I am hoping I will be able to pick one up tomorrow in Calgary.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Curious what attracts you guys to windows phone? Its been all about iphone and android lately... As a past user of WM6, WM6.5 and various roms.. I ended up with Android. The UI of the new windows phone does nothing for me at all.. not trolling or flaming, just looking for feed back..

List of PROs vs Cons. Will they bee a number 1 or 4 going forward in the smart phone game?

·
Banned
328 Posts
^ I agree TKG26, I had two Windows smartphones (HTC Titan/Mogul and HTC Touch Pro/Fuze/Raphael) and would never dream of going back as my last two phones (HTC Hero and Desire) have been Android and are light years ahead with respect to user interface and available applications. What are the pros/reasons that are drawing you to the new Windows Phone 7?

Regards

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can't really give a pro/con review at this date, as I dont have an actual phone yet, but I can provide a short unprofessional blurb after I get one and play with it for a wee bit. I concur with your opinions on past Windows OS operated phones. I too have owned Window OS operated phones and it was not always a pleasant experience dealing with them, especially working along the US border.

I can say though the main reason I am looking at purchasing a windows phone is the potential convenience with my work & home systems. I use certain programs at work that I am hoping the window phones will allow me to integrate GPS locations, photos and Office reports together and send as one via outlook. Also I can import gps locations into live systems and programs that I use at work and I would like to see if I can tie points, pictures and write-ups regarding incident occurances together on a live active system. By posting things of this nature on a live system, someone elsewhere in the province/western Canada can then pull it up through a secure system and possibly add updates to said occurance on their end, with additional information, pics and video. The new computer systems at work are being upgraded to the Windows 7 OS and hopefully it will allow me to be more productive in the future. If not, then it's back to looking for something else that makes work easier. :) As for iphones, my wife and daughter each have one, they' re nice, but not my cup of tea, at this time. I do have an ipad and thats fun to play with sometimes though.

As for Android, I've havent really paid much attention to what they are doing. In the future, I may take a look.

One other thing I find attractive with the new Window 7 phones is how they tie into DLNA approved televisions. I recently purchased a new LG 475500LE for my wife and I am looking forward to seeing how it and the LG Optimus 7 play together, as well as the other sets I own. Also I have an Xbox and it will be interesting to see how that all works out.

Anyway that is a quick and dirty breakdown as to why I am looking at a Windows 7 phone. I'll try just about any piece of tech once, to see how it can be of use to me in RL.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've tried the HTC Surround 7 yesterday and I was really impressed. Touchscreen works really great, the keyboard too. I had not been able to listen to music or video with it :( so i dont know how the speakers sound. I'm waiting to try the LG Optimus to choose what i'll choose between them. Would have like that Telus would sell the Omnia 7 too.

I had read a lot of review about WP7 and they were all very good :
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3982/windows-phone-7-review/1
http://www.iphonekiller.com
http://www.pcworld.com/article/208991/windows_phone_will_be_a_serious_gamechanger.html

I think everyone should read the anandtech review. I like the feature that allow me to lock my phone through the web if i lose it or to make it ring so I can find it in my house (I don't have any other phone).

Since I have 100$ rebate on a 3year contrat with Telus (so i get it for free), I find it very attractive. Also, I have Windows 7 at home, Xbox too. so DLNA is great for me. WP7 is not as mature as Android or IOS but I think it will be a better OS in no time (WP& lacks of cut and paste and multitask. But i heard that it will be included in the January update).

Like all of you, I can't find one LG Optimus in Quebec stores. :(

I had a windows phone 6.0 and i hated so much... but i think WP7 will make me forget this bad experience...

hope my post is not so badly written, i'm french speaking.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the links Brainwasher.

Personally, I think its great that Microsoft has done a good job with the new devices. I really would like to see a vibrant and competitive marketplace among mobile OS's.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
agreed. IT was long overdue. WM6XX was to much windows squished down. Nice to see something more main stream looking.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
WM5.X and 6.X was based on the Windows CE code base which goes back about a dozen years. Windows Phone 7 is 100% completely different. Nobody should be comparing one to the other in any way. If you had a bad experience with WM, it is in no way an indicator on what you'll think of WP7. The only thing they in common is the word "Windows", which incidentally I thought MS should have replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
completly agree with hugh and North_of_Calagary.

If someone get a hand on one of WP7 offered in Canada, please tell us which one you have choose, why and how you like it!

I think I'll go for the LG 7 Optimus since it's a bit smaller and a longer battery life.

I just wished that LG or HTC would make a phone of quality equal to the IPhone in terms of hardware (same quality of screen and camera).

BTW, i've tried the HTC 7 Surround and found that back cover was very hard to remove and when I tried, I have seen that the phone was about to split in half in the sliding speaker... don't know if you understand what I mean, kinda hard to explain... It's kinda rare that you open the back cover but just wanted to let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I cant seem to find any LG Optimus 7 in Vancouver, I have found the HTC Surround but not the Optimus. I did did see some display units and the Optimus feels very solid and well built, the Surround felt a little weak/cheap to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts