Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot of love (and hate!) here for both Android and iPhone, but so far I haven't noticed anyone posting about their Win Phone 7 devices. So, did any of you buy one? What are your thoughts?

I've been in the market for a smartphone for a long time now (but there's always something newer and shinier on the horizon!) and Windows Phone 7 hasn't really made my choice any easier. The hardware looks good, and I find the OS intriguing. I'd be interested in hearing from those that might have bitten the bullet on this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the LG Optimus Quantum. Hardware is very nice. The phone is surprisingly heavy, but other than that I have no complaints. The OS itself takes getting used to, but I moved from a Blackberry to WP7 and I don't think I would want to go back. Everything is just so slick and responsive.

There are downsides though. No true multitasking means that when you load the Twitter or Facebook app it has to pull down everything that is new. No copy/paste has hurt me once or twice, but that is in the next update which is due out in the next month or two.

For what it's worth the App Development process is pretty easy to pick up. Although you have to get used to handling how the back button works in your apps.

The 'Glance and Go' mentality is probably my favourite part. My lock screen tells me my next calendar appointment, before I even unlock it. Once I unlock it I can see how many emails I have in each account I have on the phone (I have 2 gmail accounts hooked in), how many texts, the weather report, missed phone calls, app updates, all without opening an app.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm seriously considering a WP7 device when my current iPhone contract is up. If the Marketplace can supply a fair number of apps I like, I will probably go with it. Has anyone else got experience with any of the other WP7 hardware?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently picked up a Samsung Focus and I am really enjoying it. I came from an iPhone 3GS and the amoled screen on the Focus blows the screen of the 3GS out of the water. Even compared to the iPhone 4 I prefer the bigger screen on the Focus. I'm also a big fan of the Zune software over iTunes for music management.

Obviously, the OS is still version one and is missing a few things like copy and paste, but these issues will be ironed out over time. One thing I've noticed is Internet Explorer is slightly slower at rendering webpages than Safari was on the iPhone. I've also found most apps I need in the marketplace, but after having used it on the iPhone, I'm still waiting for WhatsApp to arrive on WP7. For the most part, I've been pleasantly surprised with the selection of apps on the WP7 marketplace.

Ultimately, I love the fresh feel of the WP7 metro design and I feel iOS is getting quite dated. Like was previously mentioned in another post, its nice to be able to glance at the tiles for quick updates without having to open an app. For example, I'm using apps that update the live tiles for stocks, weather, sports scores, and of course, the built in calendar app. A quick glance at the phone updates me on all these things.

If you have anymore specific questions, feel free to ask away.

·
Registered
556 Posts
St. Jimmy, what does the build quality feel like? I've read some articles that say the amount of plastic used makes the phone feel cheap and fragile. Some articles say it just feels very light but solid. How responsive is the touch screen?
Hope you are enjoying the phone!

·
Registered
86 Posts
The weight of the Focus definitely takes a bit of time getting used to having come from an iPhone as its definitely a lot lighter than the 3GS. I would not say the Focus is cheap fealing, but I would probably give an edge in build quality to the iPhone. The front of the Focus is piano black and is very appealing to the eyes, but you can definitely tell the the back cover and side buttons on the phone are made of plastic. It would have been nicer if the side buttons were a metal similiar to the iPhone, but its not an issue for me.

Build quality was definitely a concern as I had read similar reviews, but I'm quite happy with it overall.

As for the responsiveness of the touch screen, I would say its very responsive. Try to find a demo model of the phone at a Best Buy or Future Shop and play around with it. I did that and it alleviated my touch screen concerns. Coming from a 3GS I have not had any issues with the screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts