Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best Windows software for organizing music files....mp3s. I want to convert/import tracks from personal CDs onto the hard drive, organize the tracks with names and either burn audio CDs or use the files to load an IPod-like device. I have existing pieces of software that each do parts of this but not everything. Also, the existing software while it works, is not easy to use.

Thanks..... :)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Exact Audio Copy (freeware) is excellent for .wav copying.

If you want to compress the .wav files I have found Variable Bit Rate mp3 set at 100% to sound quite good. Make sure the hardware players you will be using support VBR mp3 before you do all that work.

For playback and filing I find the 2.77 or 2.78 Winamp versions excellent. You can always download new skins if you don't like it's appearance.

Winamp3 series are buggy and commercial.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
I am using WinAmp 5 and I don't have any trouble. I have been using it since V2. V3 was buggy like Filper said. With Winamp you can play your CD's and pull down the CDDB titles. These are retained when you go to MP3 and the ID3 information is as well. WinAmp is very configurable and can me mimimized to a tiny bar like so. Or you can go fullscreen with really funky visuals.

They have a real nice Library too. With Most Played, Recently Played, Top Rated, Playlists, Never Played. In addition you can sort by ID3 tag info.

If you want the best MP3s use a program like LAME to compress your WAVs to MP3s. While most programs will give you good results there are some that create poor MP3s. You will have to do little googling to find reviews.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I looked at a lot of different programs when I put all my music on my computer, and if you have a large music collection (I'm thinking upwards of 200 cds), I'd suggest J. River Media Center (http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/). I use it to rip all my cd's, tag them, listen to them, and burn new cd's.

It's not as user friendly as some other programs out there, but it has a lot of features that are quite nice once you get used to them. It's also by far the best at organizing big collections.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
filper said:
Winamp5 ??? Yikes, I've been sleepin' at the wheel.
I think they skipped version 4 altogether! Something about trying to leave V3 way behind them.

John

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
iTunes is what I find to be the best for me right now.

It has the ability to make 'smart' playlists based on how many times you listen to a song, the genre of the song, and many more options that I cant get into. It has all the versions of the ID3 tag, and it can find all your mp3 files on your computer and move them into a single iTunes folder. Impressive
It can burn MP3 and audio CD's with a click of the burn button. It's also fully compatible with the iPod, both Windows and Mac versions. And you can rip from an audio CD as well.

I used to be a winamp'er, but after the debacle of v3, I said bye bye.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've been using Musicmatch for about six months with no problems. Burns CD's and MP3's with minimal fuss. Maintains playlists and ID tags and I enjoy the internet radio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.