Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just moved and I'm setting up an OTA system. I have the outdoor antenna (which came with the house) hooked up to a TV Wonder 650. Using the information here:

http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/pne...atsc-amp-qam-in-canada-for-windows-7-rtm.aspx

I've configured Windows 7's Media Center to use the ATSC tuner and I'm getting 11 digital channels. I'm just NorthWest of Brantford (just outside the city).

I'm trying to figure out how to configure Windows Media Center to download guide data for my location. The channels I have are:

2.1 WGRZ-HD
2.2 WGRZ-US
2.3 WGRZ-RT
11.1 CHCH-DT
26.1 WNYB-SD
26.2 WNYB-HD
36.1 CTS HD
54.1 WQLN-HD
54.2 WQLN-S1
54.3 WQLN-S2
66.1 WFXP-DT

The post I pointed to above includes a method of adding guide data, but you need to know the Guide ID to use for your area. Because I don't have any source other than the ATSC channels, I can't figure out how to get Windows Media Center to add my location so I can figure out how to get the Guide ID.

All this to say.. can someone in Brantford who uses Windows Media Center check for their Guide ID and let me know what it is? I believe you can get to it by getting information about the guide listings somewhere in Settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Since you're ATSC only, I'd recommend you just set up Media Center in the US Region, and use zip code 14173.

Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No channels

I tried doing that - switched my region to US, entered that zip code, scanned for channels, and it found none. Not sure how that's possible.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't have any problems with Win 7 RC that I didn't have with Vista....

I reloaded yesterday with RTM and was happy to find that I now get guide data for CityTV and SUN TV (CKXT) which I never did before.

Of course as with all Canadian Digital Channels you have to add them manually (or using scan) and then manually edit the guide listings to copy the information from the analog equivalent

This means that if your analog tuner wasn't detected during the 'TV Setup' phase (which it won't if you don't have the antenna hooked up to the card) you have to add your tuners manually and make sure to add the analog.

I just manually un-select all the analog channels in the 'edit guide' screen so they don't show up in my guide...

I use ZIP code 14202 (US)

·
Registered
910 Posts
I use zip 14301 or 14201 for VMC...both work well.

I see all your channels except the 54.x. I have no idea what they are.

I don't recall the need to add any channels manually except for the subchannels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts