Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
The update or the iso download are the same. If it doesn't install with windows update, it won't install with the iso; I have tried it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You are right it is a .exe file; windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe
But it does not work; It is the same than auto update. The error I was receiving before reinstalling image was 'unknown error' so somethig was wrong on the system. Ran all possible fixes, system files verification, registry clean-up and defrag, etc. nothing help it.
The system now run fine and up to date. This is on a old computer intel S478.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In our test machines, we noticed that the SP1 install will fail with McAfee installed. Try disabling any anti-virus before running SP1.

On a side note for any Admins out there, if you plan on slipstreaming or installing a fresh Windows 7 w/SP1, be aware that Microsoft's Admin Pack will not work. You need to install that first, before applying SP1. (don't know how many non-home users are on the forum, but thought I'd throw that up here anyway)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Can you download the update without a copy of Windows 7?

Two questions really regarding Windows 7 and the service packs...thanks for any advice from those who already bit the bullet.

My windows pc is Vista ughh...I have been seriously considering getting an OEM copy of 7 64. From what is going on we might not see OEM copies of 7 with the service pack this time around before Windows 8 is released!

I highly doubt if I go out and purchase an OEM 7 right now that the service pack will be there yet. Does anyone know if there are going to be OEM releases of updated disks, or did Microsoft send too many first release retail OEM copies to the distributors the way they did with Vista?

Can you still do a clean install from an update disk if the new retail update disk includes the service pack? Or do you have to keep your original encoded Vista data if you do not use an OEM or full version? You could do an XP clean from an update but from what I read this is no longer possible, even if you do your install to a different HDD.:mad: This was one of the only reasons I still did Windows installs, if that option is completely gone then I am not amused. You have to validate so what is their thinking?

Another really good reason why I have waited to see what they are doing instead of just running out and grabbing a disk!

I hate the prospect of another two day install ordeal downloading and installing Windows updates.

Also I would like to know if there are any troubles with bypassing driver certification checks for some hardware. My Belkin/Atheros based wifi card, which is really a good device is not certified for Vista and I have to do a boot device configuration edit to stop the certification checks.

Is Windows 7 even more strict with driver certification than Vista or is there a little more sanity for a change? After all the Atheros driver is certified it is just that the ndis settings are now a write protected binary text and you can no longer edit in Windows. The stupidity of this situation is that something as simple as freaking simple ndis ini text file now must be re-certified by the hardware manufacturers for use with Windows!

One thing that has stopped me from upgrading to Windows 7 is the prospect of having to throw out a perfectly good piece of Belkin/Atheros based hardware because of their dispute with Microsoft over having to pay to re-certify a bloody text file!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm sure at one point a SP1 integrated OEM disk will be available.

BTW the DISM tool is supposed to be able to integrate Service Packs. This would allow you to slipstream SP1 yourself. Trouble is MS blocked it for some unknown reason. There is a tool RT Seven Lite that I am currently testing to see how well it works. This would not be an MS supported way to slipstream SP1 so personal / educational purposes only IMHO.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
j0dest3r, XP was really easy to integrate. No tools were required, apart from CD burning software. Are you saying that Win7 cannot be slipstreamed in a similar way?

EricReesor, why not just install Win7 and then SP1? SP1 takes about an hour to do the update but is otherwise hassle free.

An update/upgrade disk should always work, provided a previous version of Windows exists on the disk. Just choose the custom installation method and the clean install.

I haven't run into any valid Win7 drivers that would not install, MS certified or not. If the driver is for the incorrect hardware or wrong Windows version, it will fail.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the info.

EricReesor, why not just install Win7 and then SP1? SP1 takes about an hour to do the update but is otherwise hassle free.

An update/upgrade disk should always work, provided a previous version of Windows exists on the disk. Just choose the custom installation method and the clean install.

aven't run into any valid Win7 drivers that would not install, MS certified or not.
Thanks Bob that is what I am considering. Great to hear that the sp1 update is not a long ordeal the way it was with Vista! Good to hear that you can still do a clean install, dump everything and put it on a different new hard disk drive from an update disk! I am seriously considering getting an SSD for my primary, and would not even consider using an update copy if this was not still possible.

The problem that I encountered with the Belkin card that I am using is that every time Vista did a cert check at boot it barfed on the Atheros based driver which is certified! I finally googled out the fix and it turned out that something very specific to Vista 64 was the trouble. It does it the same way as Windows7. The only fix that worked was an admin ¨bcdedit /set nointegritychecks on¨ You would think that I was using Linux! But it was nice to see that you can still actually use the command line to do real work in Windows. Here is a link to the method. I suspect that I will have to do the same thing in Windows 7. There most likely is very little difference between Vista and 7 except more bling and longer term support for updates!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It sounds to me like this is Belkin's fault. They are probably doing something the wrong way and can't be bothered fixing it. Driver support for older hardware can be an issue with Win7, especially 64 bit. I still highly recommend installing 64 bit Win7 though. Lack of hardware support is the fault of the hardware makers. Some provide reasonable support for new operating systems and older hardware, some don't. Epson is another hardware maker that doesn't provide decent driver support. I'll never buy another of their products.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
ScaryBob, yes it can or at least used to be able to. You use the DISM tool from the WAIK Windows Automated Installation Kit to slipstream all the updates. Vista you could slipstream SPs but now with 7 SP1 it is blocked for some reason. Only a 3rd party tool will do it but it is unsupported.:-( RT 7 Lite. I am currently testing RT7 Lite and it does work as it is supposed to. By next week I should have a Windows 7 Pro with IE 9 installation disk ready to go. I have confirmed it works with the RC version of IE9. I will use RT 7 Lite to do SP1 and IE 9 I will then use DISM to inject the rest of the updates post SP1. If it takes it all and DISM doesn't complain then i think this tool/method would be considered safe IMO.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
BTW.... In testing installing SP1 via Windows Updates or installing it from DVD or download, it takes 40 min either way on a typical modern machine anyway with no SSD hard drive.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I installed SP1 today for win 7 pro x64
Only 1 small issue: Video drivers got messed but a reinstall of the drivers fixed that.
Took over an hour with download and install. Surprisingly one 1 restart needed if you do not count a second restart for the video drivers.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts