Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

481 - 496 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been using MediaPortal 1.x for the last several years. I have it installed on my main server for recording using SchedulesDirect for guide data and a combination of 4 ATSC 1.0 tuners and an HD-PVR capturing the few cable channels I receive with my package. For clients, I use a Windows 10 PC with MediaPortal in the living room, and use Kodi with the MediaPortal TV plug-in on a bunch of Raspberry Pi 3's for the kids' TV's.

It works quite well and has been stable for years (outside of the flakiness of the HD-PVR at times).

Just throwing this out there as an option to anyone needing to move away from MCE.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I've been monitoring the guide data and there hasn't been a successful update until yesterday afternoon. However the guide has lots of missing programs causing many programs to be shifted earlier in the schedule and making the guide unusable. I don't know if that's true for all lineups, but you should check yours if you still use Microsoft data. I tried to force an update this morning and the Media Center log in Event Viewer says the EpgListings package is already up to date.

For those looking for a completely free alternative to get guide data for WMC, the following have recently been updated:
1. EPG Collector
2. xmltv-to-mxf by Ray Douglass

More info is available at: https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=12558&start=60

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
Microsoft data is available until March 8 and the times are correct!

My Schedules Direct free trial data runs out today, so I thought I'd check my Microsoft data and it automatically updated as soon as I rebooted.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can report that forced updates are not working for my guide data in Windows 8.1 media center.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
Latest automatic update to Friday 13th at 6 PM CST. Times seem to be correct. I noticed this yesterday, but I'm not sure when it happened.

I've been doing random checks every few days and it seems Microsoft is only updating the lineups about every 7-10 days since Jan. 1.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
The rumour on The Green Button is that the Microsoft/Rovi contract expires at the end of March or April, so keep your eyes open for the end of the data feed.

I'm still using the free guide data, so I'll post if it drops to less than a week around those times. My lineup seems to get updates earlier than others and it got automatically updated to March 19, 6 PM several days ago.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
With everything else going on in the world, I wasn't sure if we would get any more updates past March 19. I've been forcing an update once a day for the last few days with no luck, however the guide prompted me to download listing this morning since I had less than 3 days data and I got actual data to March 30 at 6 PM. If your lineup hasn't updated yet, it probably will very soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. No updated guide here yet, but if it's like what happened at the end of last month, Winnipeg leads and the rest of the nation follows.

·
Super Moderator
16,602 Posts
I use the Windows Event Viewer to check the status of updates occasionally and I've been getting the message "Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server)" since March 24, which indicates to me the EPG server has been completely shut down. My log goes back to last summer and I never got that message before.

My listing end today at 6 PM, so I think that's the end of the line for Microsoft guide data.

481 - 496 of 496 Posts