Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

381 - 400 of 496 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,395 Posts
Here's Microsoft's update:
Posted by Microsoft on 3/17/2014 at 4:21 PM

We've deployed the fix for this issue. Assuming no further complications guide data processing takes about 8 hours for US/Canada, so we should see updated guide data after that.

I understand this has been very frustrating for you, and I'm personally sorry about what a mess this has been. We dropped the ball detecting the issue, and wasted time on another issue that turned out to be unrelated, and then once we understood the issue it took much longer than it should have to get the fix tested and deployed.
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/feedback/details/834952/windows-media-center-guide-not-updating

The link may not work if you haven't registered for Microsoft Connect.

Lots of posts saying that it's still not working, even allowing for the 8 hour processing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's Microsoft's update:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/feedback/details/834952/windows-media-center-guide-not-updating

The link may not work if you haven't registered for Microsoft Connect.

Lots of posts saying that it's still not working, even allowing for the 8 hour processing.
Thanks for the update, just forced an update but still nothing past the 21st for me. Last time I had similar issue last year for about half of my OTA channels it took them 4 months to fix it, but there was a work around of downloading cable listing and remapping but it doesn't look like that would work this time.

posted using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guide info stops the 21st

Same problem here.

Been using MCE with an antenna since March 1st and don't know any turnaround for this.

Someone can help ?

·
Super Moderator
16,395 Posts
I just forced a manual update and my guide is now up-to-date (March 31), so it looks like the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just did the same before I red your comment. I did run the CanGuide.bat before however. Whatever was made, it updated fine through March 31st.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would anyone here be kind enough to send me Peter Near's ATSCCanada.zip file? I am (finally) just getting into the antenna WMC game and the link on Peter Near's blog no longer works. Or if anyone has a working link to the file it would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Sorry guys, didn't realize that Microsoft had killed off yet another "official forum" for Media Center support. Updated the links in the blog article now, not sure if I'll be able to recover the old screenshots.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Receive ATSC in Canada

I tried the ATSCcanada.zip many times. It works for awhile but the guide listings always disappear after 2 weeks. I think it is useless now.

I tried another solution. As I am in Vancouver, I switch to being in USA and enter a zip code for Blaine Washington which is right beside the border. The zip code is 98230. It works. The channel guide now shows the channel listings for all Canadian digital channels (Vancouver) and USA digital channels (Bellingham & Seattle). As, I can't receive the USA channels, I edit the guide to remove these channels. Now the channel guide just shows Vancouver Stations.

Now that the world cup is starting today, I am recording all games and opening celebration in HD.

It is pathetic that Microsoft does not recognize ATSC if you use a post code from Canada.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Hmm, sounds to me like you might have an issue with the scheduled task. That could happen either because you didn't run it as admin, or the xml files weren't edited properly (those are the setup files for the scheduled task).

-Pete

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been setting up some W8 Media Center PCs lately and have been thinking about this exact same thing. In the past I've used Peter's ATSC Canada files successfully. Lately I've been trying the US Media Center setup with US Zip and I'm finding that it seems to work flawlessly. Can someone remind me why we might need the ATSC Canada script if we are in a Canadian city where we are close enough to use a US Zip? What is the advantage of using the ATSC Canada script?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Some people combine OTA with a cable lineup so then you would need this. There is also the issue that not everyone is that close to the US border so some of the channels might not appear in a US lineup.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #399
I use a US Zip code now as well for my OTA setup. Here are the situations where you might need to use the hack:
1. If you don't live near the US
2. If you want to mix US OTA with Canadian cable/satellite

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've had a problem with the hack on Windows 8 MC. Had to set it up incorrectly for my area with a zip code first and then use the hack for it it work. I wish MS would just fix this for us already. I wonder what the sales are like for the Windows 8 version? Obviously most will just install Windows 7 and get it for free.

381 - 400 of 496 Posts