Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fresh install of Windows 7 Premium Home Edition started to reboot like clockwork every night at about 3:00 a.m. I suspected it was a problem resuming from S3 sleep. Whenever I used the power button to wake the system, it would BSOD exactly 30-40 seconds after resuming operation.

During that brief window, I tried using Process Monitor and Process Explorer to find the errant service that was starting 30-40 seconds after resume. No Luck. The minidump files suggested a hardware error associated with HCW89.sys.

I have two Hauppauge HVR-2250 cards. If I physically pulled either of the cards the problem was fixed. If I disabled either card in Device Manager, it stopped crashing on resume. I was pretty sure that there was nothing wrong with either card or their drivers.

I suspected that the Windows 7 install might be the culprit. I never had Service Pack 1 before. Uninstalling SP1, fixed the incompatibility with the dual HVR-2250 cards.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, I have a single HVR-2250 in my HTPC and have no issues with S3 standby. My system is Windows 32-bit SP1. Is your system configured for AHCI? I had an older MB that had trouble with timeouts when in AHCI mode. In IDE mode there were no problems. My system doesn't turn on until 6 am. I'm guessing you have it configured to defrag at 3 am?

What is being recorded in the event viewer logs? If the issue is the dual cards (I'm assuming no issues when a single card is in there), maybe you should contact Hauppauge. It could be a driver issue on their part (the latest was released 6/11/2010).

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't suppose you would buy a second card and see if your system crashes on S3 Resume?

My ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard doesn't support AHCI and hot swapping of hard drives. That's a shame because Windows 7 doesn't automatically recognize my external e-SATA drive when it is plugged in. I have to manually enable it or reboot. That wasn't a problem with Windows XP. My workaround is to use a USB connection instead.

There were a lot of scheduled tasks. It could have been defragmenting, or the guide download, Microsoft updates, 7MC recording, etc. Every morning a message about the last reboot. The event logs only showed that the system had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Sometimes several in one night.

I suspected a driver issue as well. Normally, I use the Hauppage Windows drivers. But during this re-install I opted to use Windows Media Center Installation package designed specifically for their HVR-2250 MCE kit. Either way it crashes so I started looking elsewhere for the problem.

Support: WinTV-HVR-2250

·
Registered
1 Posts
HVR-2250 crashed during recording - BSOD

I have a similar issue... It appears to happen during recording 2 programs at once. I have contacted Hauppauge support and will let you know what they come back with...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hope this is OK thread to jump in on, since we are talking specifically about 2250, the buy decision is almost a given, but planning to add an HVR-2250 to WIN7 32 Ultimate MCE.
The unit already has a single tuner that has an FM coax, NTSC, coax and ATSC coax. It was robbed form an HP Media Centre PC.
I've used the NTSC off raw cable and the ATSC off an OTA antenna.

I'm planing to return my satellite PVR and now with 4 OTA HD's in Calgary, figured I best have another ATSC tuner as obviously I'll loose the time shift feeds going straight local.

So anybody see any issues with this?

3 ATSC tuners?

Does 7MCE handle this easily?

I also have a USB dongle tuner that came offshore via eBay if I need an extra I/P.

Mod: If this is best in the tuner thread, please move.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Win7MC can easily handle upto 4 digital and 4 analog tuners at the same time. Beyond that, you need a program like TunerSalad to enable more.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Cool, thanks.

Does it basically auto assign tuners from the guide then?
Or like STB PVR's, is there a concept of Tuner 1 & Tuner 2?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is an abbreviated version of my setup guide. Go to media center > tasks > TV.

TV Setup
United States
98226​
Download TV Setup Data
Stop Examining TV Signals
Configure TV Signal Manually
TV Signal Type: Antenna
TV Tuner Selection: Digital Antenna (ATSC)​
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 BDA ATSC/QAM Tuner #1
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 BDA ATSC/QAM Tuner #2
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 BDA ATSC/QAM Tuner #3
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 BDA ATSC/QAM Tuner #4

You should return to this screen where you can setup your analog tuners
TV Signal Type: Antenna
TV Tuner Selection: Analog Antenna​
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog TV Tuner #1
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog TV Tuner #2
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog TV Tuner #3
Enable Hauppauge WinTV-7164 Analog TV Tuner #4

After the initial setup, you may want to clean up the Guide data. Choose Media Center > Tasks> Guide

Edit Listings
{Here you can combine the listings for the analog channels with the digital. Or vice-versa. What is really cool here is that you can set tuner priorities. With the setup above, Media Center will use the 4 digital tuners for any recordings and if all are in use, then select the analog tuners.

Combine channel 2 with channel 2.1
Combine channel 8 with channel 8.1
Combine channel 10 with channel 10.1
Combine channel 32 with channel 32.1
Combine channel 17 with channel 53
Combine channel 42 with channel 42.1
Combine channel 42.1 with channel 42.1

Edit Channels
Disable 3
Disable 14
Disable 45
Disable 53
Disable 66

Sorry if this is confusing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
With the analog and digital tuners, I've been through some of that, it all makes sense.

What I haven't seen is the tuner priority. That will be helpful.
If for some goofy reason, a 4th show comes on, I'll have to snag it from analog SD cable rather than the HD OTA signal, but that pretty unlikely.

When I get the card, I'm sure it will all click.

Just waiting for some living room reno's before I reassemble the Home Theatre and HTPC system.
I best be done before September.

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts