Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't seen it a geeky college kid has to spend most of his time sitting outside of his dorm room because his stud roommate is always getting laid. No worries though since he can PVR HD TV using his Win 7 notebook so he's got plenty to do.

The fine print on the commercial says "TV tuner required". It's very fine print and only there for part of the ad.

Although I could see people in markets like Toronto being fine with OTA if they, in part, buy a new laptop to do this I could picture many being dismayed when they only pull in a couple signals at most.

I'm hoping that ads and devices like this and portable atsc TV's will be prompting more Canadians to wonder why our service isn't as good as Americans since even those with cable may find it useful to use an antenna now and again.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, it is. To be honest, I always assume there are caveats to any of those claims, just from experience. Of course, the kid could also just be watching recorded tv shows, while the tuner is a seperate device in the occupied dorm room.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dork in the hall is using the homerun in his room that's broadcasting over 'n'.

how did you guys miss that one? haha

As for people wondering why our service isn't very good, I wish I could point them all at the UK system. Maybe if the 90% of us living along the border made enough noise we could have a terrestrial system like the uk.

Back to the commercial. I find it funny that we've reached a point that watching tv on a laptop is a monumental thing. All the time and effort into getting faster more feature laden cpus and we decide watching tv with them is the next milestone. we've succeded in turning our pcs into idiot boxes. too funny.

hey, I'm guilty too. my quad core is no more than an elaborate tv tuner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts