Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate is now available for download from Microsoft. It's described in KB976932 available here. The X64 download is 865.4MB. An ISO DVD image with both X86 and X64 patches is a mere 1875.2MB.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
But hopefully in a sandbox or on a test rig, I would think. The typical user should wait for the released version, right?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I sure would!

For someone like me, I update monthly so most of the W7 fixes have probably already been applied to my system.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used RC service packs before. They are usually quite stable. The beta versions can be problematic but they are rarely released to the general public. I agree that most people don't want to install it on a production system though. OTOH, I've seen final release service packs that caused more problems than the RC versions.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Win 7 install has been so great, I hesitate to touch it..lol..Payback for all the headaches with such "gems" as Windows 95 and Win ME. And I deserve it!

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installing service packs is kind of like playing the lottery, but in reverse. It makes little difference to most, except for ongoing support which needs the service pack installed. There are always some people who have minor problems and a small number that have big problems. Microsoft recommends that third party firewalls and virus scanners be disabled, especially the real time components. I usually uninstall them before applying the service pack and reinstall them after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts