Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Windows 11|(not on normally used laptop) on a laptop not recommended due to CPU not on list and it is working fine and seems to have sped up the relatively slow laptop. Just trying it out. Don't see a huge difference except speed improved.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I installed the Dev channel on my daily driver laptop when it was released, but have switched just to the Beta channel so that I can move to the production release (without having to do a clean install). There were a few minor problems but it is running smoothly now. Some UI polishing is still needed.
It is uncertain if a PC that does not meet the recommended standard will be allowed to have the production release installed even it if runs the Insider Preview. Be prepared to clean install Win 10.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
often when installing a new windows operating system such as windows 11 (Preview, Beta, pre-release, etc) from a clean install, it very well may run faster than an existing older windows 10 installation, especially one thats over a year old. the normal slowdowns you experience is because over time your operating system gets bogged down with bloat ware and unnecessary files and registry entries still remain even if you properly uninstall your applications. Also just because the CPU is not listed does not necessarily mean it wont run well, often many higher end CPUs can handle the performance of a newer operating system, it is not only the CPU but a combination of other things like RAM, hard drive, etc. which as long as you have a good amount you should be fine

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
just checked my computer and it supports TPM 2.0 so i should have no problem with windows 11, but i will wait till the bugs are ironed out

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The general consensus is that Win 11 is faster than Win 10, but the differences are not going to change your life in any meaningful way.
My observances are that boot time is faster, and cumulative updates are way faster.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The general consensus is that Win 11 is faster than Win 10, but the differences are not going to change your life in any meaningful way.
My observances are that boot time is faster, and cumulative updates are way faster.
Are they faster because they're faster or has MS found a way to make them smaller and less complicated to download/install?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Are they faster because they're faster or has MS found a way to make them smaller and less complicated to download/install?
The cumulative update process has been optimized somehow, smaller download and faster install.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So what are the differences between Windows 10 & 11? Is worth upgrading?
If you like to experiment, see whats new, help to find bugs, influence the direction the o/s is going, or to be sure you PC can run it, then it is worth the upgrade.
But it is not a one-way street. Take a backup before jumping, and if something goes wrong or you do not like what you see then just do a restore. My data is not extensive and I have separate backups of it anyway. A partition backup of my C: drive (o/s and data) took 30 minutes, and a restore took 10 minutes, so easily managed.
My PC is about to restart with the latest upgrade to Beta 22000.132.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
@Bplayer
Thanks.
But?

I'm not good with computers wouldn't even know how to do a backup. heck I've even got a second party " Keep it Connected" via Teamviewer connected to computer(pay $30/month) and they take care if I have any viruses, issues or want any programs or other things added or deleted from my computer, they either do it via Teamviewer or come to the house to fix the issue. So I would have them do it if I where to switch to Windows 11.

For those that might ask why I've got this, when your knowledge of computers is limited, this service is great for those like myself who are not that computer savvy.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Then I would definitely avoid Windows 11 for now. It's not going to be officially released until later this year and will likely have a few issues with drivers and third party support for a few months after that. The other issue is that Windows 11 will not install on a computer without TPM (Trusted Platform Module) support. That requires a fairly recent CPU and mother board with TPM enabled. Even fairly new computers may need a firmware upgrade to enable it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
@MCIBUS You get monthly cumulative updates that are appropriate to your PC. When Windows 11 is officially released you will get an update IF it is appropriate as Microsoft knows the exact configuration of your PC. I would not worry about issue with drivers or third party programs as the architectural change from Win 10 to Win 11 (except for TPM) is not radical.
No need for you to venture into the pre release world at this point.
ps. The premium being paid for support services might be better spent on an alternative platform. Open a different topic if you would like to explore this.

·
Super Moderator
11,236 Posts
Looks like I am out of luck with my 2015-2016 era Asus laptop. Oh well I am good until 2025 it seems.
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

1 - 20 of 38 Posts