Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got to wonder what this will do to PC computing. Will it fuel a boom in PC sales? It would have 20 years ago but in 2025 it could spell the end of PC computing as we know it. As PCs become unsupported by Microsoft a lot of people may choose not to replace them, choosing to abandon PCs and use alternate platforms like phones, tablets and gaming consoles. It could also mean a rapid hastening of the end of Windows as a popular operating system as other people decide to switch to alternatives such as Linux.
I switched to linux 20 years ago and have no complaints.
For me the Microsoft empire started to smell foul with msdos 5.
All my favorite dos games were no longer made , and the windows games were boring.
All the good pinball games were no longer on windows.
I have not used any windows games since directx 9, i simply lost interest in windows gameing.
I play retro games now, commodore 64 , amiga, atari st.
The hardware requirements are simply to high, you need a video card with 6GB of ram.
I remember when games ran nicely on a 40 MHZ 386 and a 512k trident vga card.
Modern games have an unquenchable thirst for CPU, RAM , SSD ... etc.
The madness has to end some time, before everyone goes broke building "The Ultimate Gaming PC" .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I lost interest in windows with the windows 2000 release.

Windows xp was the last good release.

Have been happily running Linux for the last 20 years.

I run Amiga workbench 3.1 on top of linux , and it runs like a dream.

A Amiga os that Commodore made back in 1992 , has fewer bugs , better apps and better os performance than any microsoft Windows made in the last 20 years.

Have been running Amiga os since 1987 , no plans to stop running it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts