Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Interesting. Window 11 might be the catalyst. In our household the last laptop we purchased was for school 3 years ago. And before that mine which is 6 or so years ago.

Reminds me of how Microsoft got into Music (Zune) just as Apple released the iPhone and basically killed off the dedicated media players.

And cloud storage and computing is changing the landscape.

I have weaned both sets of my parents off laptops and got them tablets. Way less "support calls" now. And once I hooked up their wireless printer to their tablet, their laptop just collects dust. Now when I visit I turn the laptop on and make sure updates are applied and turn it off for another 4 months.

Chromebooks were interesting but even they don't seem to have a future beyond education.

But a few places I see it taking longer adapting is government. But it is coming.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
I know a few of you have mentioned that you like full sized keyboards and screens. A legitimate concern. And with age, eyesight and dexterity tend to not improve.

So if I don't go completely tablet-based my plan is to hold tight until 2026 then check out the plethora of 3 years old laptops. This i7 laptop with Geoforce GTX 960M I am posting with I got for $400 used. The model before that was a Dell Latitude with Windows 7 for even less. I used it until until 2020. Before that I had an XP machine until about 2014. So every 6 years I renew.

Now those of you that game, thanks for being the early adopters so vultures like me can pick up the scraps. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts