Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Tony's big announcement what you all expected? I had the feeling it was something else and at the last moment it was dashed. I know of many that had hoped it was a network announcement, perhaps new handsets or a new direction for the company now that it is on the cusp of being sold. I even heard rumors of it was to be Tony's swan song. I suppose the windinsiders are not always right.

In any even it is good that Orascom is giving to charity!

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Based on the style of the press release I expected exactly this. It isn't Wind's style to have a press conference for a handset, and none of the clues in the release pointed towards network or management news.

For the record, Wind is a division of Globalive. Orascom simply holds equity and debt. This is like owing the bank for a mortgage on your house; that doesn't mean the bank pays for your lunch each day. Orascom is an important investor, but not the owner.

Also, Wind is not about to be sold. Some of their debt or equity may change hands with the merger/sale of Vimpelcom and Orascom, but that is very different to the company being sold. Even if Vimpelcom were to gain all of the debt or equity currently controlled by Orascom they would have absolutely zero say in the day to day operations of Wind, unless Wind wanted their help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Colin I have to disagree, Orascom has had control of Wind from the get go, posting the sub numbers, listing Wind.ca as part of the orascom family, Having the owner of wind act like he runs things... these are not the actions of just the bank. Also when the merger, some say sale, was going about wind.ca was listed in the deal and the subs used to show how big the company would become. These are not the actions of an investor but of an owner. But I say car park you say parking lot.. same difference

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
So, what was the announcement.?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Colin I have to disagree, Orascom has had control of Wind from the get go, posting the sub numbers, listing Wind.ca as part of the orascom family, Having the owner of wind act like he runs things... these are not the actions of just the bank. Also when the merger, some say sale, was going about wind.ca was listed in the deal and the subs used to show how big the company would become. These are not the actions of an investor but of an owner. But I say car park you say parking lot.. same difference
Orascom has to release those numbers because they are a publicly traded company. The indirect equity they hold in Wind is an asset, as such they have to release things like subscriber numbers and list things like Wind.ca in order to provide an approximate value for that asset. As Globalive is not publicly traded, they don't have to release anything. Trust me, if Orascom were private they would not release any information about Wind.

During the merger/sale Orascom listed Wind for the same reason, the equity in Wind is an asset they control. They have interest in seeing Wind grow because their equity increases in value and they will make more money.

These are exactly the actions of an investor, as required by law.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colin Law is not a strong suit of Orascom, so i do not believe for one moment that is the case. As the bank in this Orascom does not list all of its assets, no does it disclose the particulars of said assets. Wind.ca is part of the Orascom Wireless Division. It is listed as such, it is marketed as such. But none of that matters. as long as there is cleap wireless right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts