Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
You might want to check your facts. The big 3 do not charge roaming in Canada. I am about 20 hours away from my local calling area for 8 months out of the year and I have never paid a dime in roaming. I usually don't have any long distance charges either because of the Fab 10 option.
Fair enough - they don't call it "roaming" if you're still on their network (which you would be most of the time), it becomes "long distance" usage.

Your Fab10 option is keeping you from incurring those ~35c/min LD charges when you're out of your home calling area. Try calling or taking a call from someone outside of your Fab10 when you're away from the local calling area.

This became an even bigger issue when Rogers shrunk the size of the GTA local calling area - some people went from being local at both home & work to having one of them be out of zone and therefore long-distance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
V, thanks. Good news indeed. But a heads-up, to reinforce the WIND FAQ: the phone must be compatible or you're SOL. T-Mobile is a good source, to see if your phone will work on WIND, as both cellcos operate in the same spectrum.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Fair enough - they don't call it "roaming" if you're still on their network (which you would be most of the time), it becomes "long distance" usage.

Your Fab10 option is keeping you from incurring those ~35c/min LD charges when you're out of your home calling area. Try calling or taking a call from someone outside of your Fab10 when you're away from the local calling area.
Actually when I am away for work I am nowhere near Bell's network and I am roaming on TBayTel. When people at work call me I simply hit ignore and call right back. That way neither party is paying any LD because at that point I'm making a local call. I might make two or three short LD calls/month and if LD became an issue I could purchase blocks of Canadian LD minutes that could reduce the cost to as low as 10cents/min (200 min for $20, 100 min for $12.50, etc)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Ok, so I asked on the other thread if there were other phones that would work , and was told no. I'm starting a new thread to discuss Wind hardware options. We obviously need one.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have you ever seen a Rogers bill with multiple services on it? It's more convoluted and unnecessarily complicated than an electronics manual that was (poorly) translated into English from Japanese. I wish I could get 3 separate bills from Rogers for my services.

This is the lamest complaint I've heard about WIND to date. :rolleyes:
I'm with Bell and my One Bill is quite readable thank you... I can't get Rogers I live in Quebec. What I really meant to say was that the bundles offer discounts that WIND can't offer right now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How big is Wind Mobile's coverage?

How big is it? Mostly Ontario? Are they looking to expand it in the future or would they have to purchase additional spectrum?

Sorry for all the questions, not sure how wireless industry works.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How big is it? Mostly Ontario? Are they looking to expand it in the future or would they have to purchase additional spectrum?
They are starting their own radio network in a few major urban centres and rolling out more in 2010 (Toronto, Calgary and then a handful more).

Wind has spectrum everywhere they'd want except Quebec; so, yes, more expansion beyond urban centres is in the future but how long it will take?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts